Limestone grit?

WiseOwl5

Chirping
Apr 30, 2016
Crooked Creek, Alberta, Canada
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread, I'm still a bit new to this forum. We have 7 week olds, 9 week olds, and 11 week olds. We sometimes let them out for a bit to eat grass and we decided we had better get grit. I have heard that granite and oyster shells are good but our local feed place didn't have that. All they had was #1 and 2 silica grit and coarse limestone. We bought the limestone because we had never heard of silica. The clerk said the limestone is what people usually buy. Then after I read on this forum that high magnesium limestone is harmful to chickens. We don't know whether this grit has low or high magnesium. Should we be worried?

Ok, we called the vendor that sells the stuff and they say there is no magnesium in it. Apparently, we can't get granit in Canada anymore. This stuff is soluable which isn't ideal. It is between #1 and #2 and according to the person we called you only offer #3 to turkeys. Should we have gotten the silica? Should we get that next time?

Last edited:
The limestone is too soft for good grinding, but save it for when you need to supplement calcium during egg-laying. I got a bag of calcitic limestone for this purpose (I can get oyster shells, but since there was a vegetarian option, I took it). Silica would be for grinding as it would hold up better.

I have to agree with Jensownzoo on the silica. Silica is sand, and the same stuff they melt to make glass out of. That would be your best choice it sounds like for grit for the birds.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom