Oyster ahell grit debate and confusion

Apr 7, 2023
New chick mom here and I'm wondering if my 5 week old chicks need Oyster shell/grit if they are spending time outside to assimilate them for the coop. They are eating the grass and whatever is on/in the ground.

Attachments

• 20230510_151512.jpg
    20230510_151512.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230510_150801.jpg
    20230510_150801.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230510_144548.jpg
    20230510_144548.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
New chick mom here and I'm wondering if my 5 week old chicks need Oyster shell/grit if they are spending time outside to assimilate them for the coop. They are eating the grass and whatever is on/in the ground.
Oyster shell and grit are NOT the same thing.

Grit is insoluble rock particles that are stored in the gizzard to grind feed. They wear down with time and are passed so the birds will eat more as needed.

Oyster shell is a calcium supplement primarily used in mixed flocks where feeding layer feed is not recommended.

If your birds have access to the ground, they shouldn't need grit but it doesn't hurt to provide it. I keep some out year round and it is used more during the winter when the ground is frozen.

You can put out oyster shell when the birds are about 18 weeks old.

They need grit (little chips of rock) so they can eat bugs and grass. They may find rocks for themselves in the dirt but I usually give them a bowl of some chick grit to be sure.
They do not need oyster shell until they are ready to lay eggs. If you have oyster shell out for any older hens, the babies will just ignore it.

Oyster shell and grit are NOT the same thing.

Grit is insoluble rock particles that are stored in the gizzard to grind feed. They wear down with time and are passed so the birds will eat more as needed.

Oyster shell is a calcium supplement primarily used in mixed flocks where feeding layer feed is not recommended.

If your birds have access to the ground, they shouldn't need grit but it doesn't hurt to provide it. I keep some out year round and it is used more during the winter when the ground is frozen.

You can put out oyster shell when the birds are about 18 weeks old.
I think you posted this while I was typing
Yes, this.
They may well not need grit (rocks) because they find their own. But I play safe and make sure they have some available in a bowl - I do that from day one.

Chickens can find their own only if it is there to find. Even areas that are generally rocky or stoney can have old lake beds or some such geology that have only very fine sand or silt or such with no suitable stones in the small area a run might cover. You really can't go by how little someone else needs the think about it.

You can look at the soil they can reach to see if they need some from another source if you want to avoid buying it.

I have offered oyster shell to my free range hens many times and they don't touch it. I tried mixing it in their regular feed but the cherry pick it out and leave it scattered on the ground. No interest, even when they occasionally drop thin shelled eggs. Anyone know what else works for a calcium supplement?

Back
Top Bottom