Help! My chicken was attacked! How do I care for....

DJMCCMatthews

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2016
So my Chocolate Orpington Rooster was attacked sometime last night by what we think was a weasel. It didn't kill him but is comb is tore from the bottom. It's like it was ripped like you would rip a piece of paper from the back to halfway up the front. His top beak is broken much like when you break a nail. The tip is chipped off. A patch of feathers has been tore from his breast leaving the skin raw and exposed. There are a couple of smaller patches down toward his belly. My biggest concerns are his comb and beak. How do 8 care for this?

Will post pictures within the hour.

So my Chocolate Orpington Rooster was attacked sometime last night by what we think was a weasel. It didn't kill him but is comb is tore from the bottom. It's like it was ripped like you would rip a piece of paper from the back to halfway up the front. His top beak is broken much like when you break a nail. The tip is chipped off. A patch of feathers has been tore from his breast leaving the skin raw and exposed. There are a couple of smaller patches down toward his belly. My biggest concerns are his comb and beak. How do 8 care for this?

Will post pictures within the hour.

Flush/clean the comb and any wounds on the body with saline, Chlorhexidine (Novalsan) or Betadine or if you don't have any of those us some soapy water and rinse well. Then apply some triple antibioitc ointment (like neosporin) or Vetericyn on the wounds.

The beak, will wait to see photos, but you may want to leave it alone for the moment.

Edited: Hard to tell by the photos, but leave the beak alone. It will be sore, so offer some wet feed to eat or something soft like hard boiled egg mashed up.

Make sure he is drinking - offer some vitamins in his water.

Also check him over for any puncture wounds.

Last edited:

Thanks for the better photo.
Poor fella.

Try to gently get the blood clean from the beak and nostrils, but don't put any ointment on the beak. They usually heal fairly well. The little strip hanging from the beak, you can try to trim it, but it may fall off in a day or two.
Watch for signs of infection, like pus, odors or oozing.
The comb will most likely heal the way it is, I don't know of a way to re-attach. Just keep him separated and apply your ointment and keep it clean.

I did trim that piece. Will the beak grow back? Quite a bit is missing and the fleshy part is exposed. I ended up trimming the back part of his comb because it was shredded and seemed to bother him the most. I gave him a bath in warm soapy water one I got his face clean. He was covered in blood. Used some cornstarch to aide in stopping the bleading. About to wash up one last time for now and get him comfortable.

I'm hoping he will be able to eat/drink. If we notice he isn't I will have to do it by hand. How and what should I do if that's the case?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding POST 15&17 show where to put tube or syringe/

Was wandering if you would trim the comb. Some people suggest it, but usually no one wants to try, so good job on that. Cornstarch works great for blood stop.
I can see the extent of the beak injury a bit more clearly now. It looks like the "roof" of his beak has been disconnected - is that right?
I'm not sure how that will heal to be honest with you. The outer "hard" part of the beak usually won't grow back, but there is enough length there, that I think if you can get him through this rough patch, he should be able to eat/drink, etc. normally.

If he won't eat, then you can tube feed him. @casportpony has a great thread about tube feeding. I've tried to find the posts that show how/where to place your syringe or tube. Hydration is most important, then food. Some people make a slurry out of wet feed to syringe, you can use egg, etc. or if it comes to it Kaytee Baby Bird food which is meant to be syringed/tube fed.

Tube feeding info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding POST 15&17 show where to put tube or syringe/

This hen had basically her whole beak taken off - last update was this year, she is doing fine, so tube feeding does help if need be:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

Back
Top Bottom