Foxes are Jerks!

pippo

Chirping
Feb 1, 2015
Just need to vent.
Went on holiday for 8 days and had friends stay and chicken sit and house sit for us. We were in the the middle of outback australia so we're out of range for a few days, 2 days before we could get home we got into range and got a message to call ASAP.
My heart sank. Half our flock gone because a fox had got to them. They sleep over 3 coops which is why the others were spared.
Got home and inspected the coop at fault and could not see any signs of forced entry or any damage.
Guttered that it looks like human error
1f494.png

Our yard is so quiet now. Heart broken
1f62d.png

So sorry for your loss. Something like this sure does ruin a vacation. Don't give up! Improve your coop and start again.

Thanks, already starting to build a new coop from proper wood not a pre fab store bought coop. And one coop for everyone, not 3 so it is harder to forget to lock one up for future sitters.
Is it terrible that we are already talking about which breeds we would like next?
Did ruin the day, still had a half day with our group and they must all think I'm rude because I sat away from them all, all day.
We lost 4 breeds. A sussex, silkie, faverolle and a breed we don't know - something else with fluffy feet!
They were all lovely girls and all had so much personality
1f622.png

Thanks, already starting to build a new coop from proper wood not a pre fab store bought coop. And one coop for everyone, not 3 so it is harder to forget to lock one up for future sitters.
Is it terrible that we are already talking about which breeds we would like next?
Did ruin the day, still had a half day with our group and they must all think I'm rude because I sat away from them all, all day.
We lost 4 breeds. A sussex, silkie, faverolle and a breed we don't know - something else with fluffy feet!
They were all lovely girls and all had so much personality
1f622.png
There is nothing wrong with talking about which breeds to get next! Chicken keeping has a steep learning curve, but once learned, the lesson is never forgotten. Fix what needs fixing, and start over! It is quite a hit to lose half your flock, though.

It is terrible. Quiet.
And my favorite girl was taken too. Shh don't tell the others that they aren't my favorite!
1f494.png

Stronger coop and carefully choose our chicken sitters from here on out.
Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
BYC is great for talking to other chicken minded peeps.

I till miss the crow of my favorite rooster.....and my not so favorite rooster.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom