HELP small bugs on my new call ducks

SquawkingEagle

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2016
texas
Okay so i got some adult white call ducks, they were doing good: eating, drinking, being loud. They have been in "quarantine" for about two days and when i was looking at my boy one i saw these little specks on him, i picked him up and they were these reddish/blackish tiny bugs with white dots on top. I didn't get that good a look because they crawled under his feathers. I think my female may have some to. (Thank duck i quarantined them)

Could they be red mites? or some type of flea?

i have a vet appointment next week for him to clip/show us how to clip duck wings, (i watched/read to many horror stories about clipping wings) Should i ask the vet to take a look to?

looks pretty similar, but it says "The mites are blood feeders and attack resting birds at night" i saw them during they day, perhaps it was because its a bit dim/dark in there? ill go ahead and pick up some red mite treating stuff in the morning,

Thank you
smile.png

looks pretty similar, but it says "The mites are blood feeders and attack resting birds at night" i saw them during they day, perhaps it was because its a bit dim/dark in there? ill go ahead and pick up some red mite treating stuff in the morning,

Thank you :)

How are things working for you with the treatment?

Good there all better now,
smile.png
but im not sure it was red mites, i manged to pull one off and take a very zoomed in picture
any ideas what it was?

Poultry lice. Same treatment for mites will work on them. If you want something effective and natural, pyrethrin works great. You do need to treat every two weeks for at least 6 weeks. And you need to treat the coop, as well as the birds.

Back
Top Bottom