What position to set my emu eggs

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
I received my hatching emu eggs in the mail today and I'm currently letting them rest before putting them in my incubator. My problem is that I can't tell which end is the blunt end. Should I just let them rest on their side? I'm not sure what to do since I can't candle them. Please advise. Thanks!

v brief, mich:

four or five years ago, this thread was a world leader. But no longer so. I am not an incubator. (I'm in the bush in Western Australia: got a male with nine chicks sitting in the house-clearing as we speak. Eric is tame-wild. The chicks are wild. No fences here.)

There is a wealth of knowledge in the old posts.
\

You are the new generation. You must dredge that info.

Good luck.

Last edited:
How goes the hatch?

Our female is laying eggs for the first time so I am looking into hatching chicks and came across your post. From what I read it is hard to tell where the air sack is on emu eggs so they are generally laid on their sides and then turned 180 degrees, twice a day. They use white china marking pencils to mark the eggs and vary the direction they are turned, such as Left in the morning and Right in the evening. This is suppose to help the air sack migrate to where it needs to be for hatching. I am thinking we need better airflow in our homemade freezer incubator, after reading how much carbon dioxide they produce.

How goes the hatch?

Our female is laying eggs for the first time so I am looking into hatching chicks and came across your post. From what I read it is hard to tell where the air sack is on emu eggs so they are generally laid on their sides and then turned 180 degrees, twice a day. They use white china marking pencils to mark the eggs and vary the direction they are turned, such as Left in the morning and Right in the evening. This is suppose to help the air sack migrate to where it needs to be for hatching. I am thinking we need better airflow in our homemade freezer incubator, after reading how much carbon dioxide they produce.

So far so good with the emu eggs. I'm on day 43 and did a wiggle test two days ago. The larger egg did wiggle but nothing from the smaller egg. The cooling test is good on the smaller of the two. I'm going to try again in a few days. Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom