2023/2024 Emu Hatch-A-Long

13...and my friend Tom handed me a box of nine more yesterday :oops:

I'm trying to be good and not set them, and instead sell them for him. So...anyone want some eggs? Lol. They're from two unrelated pairs.
Ooohhh... what colors? And how much??

The 'breeding-pair' here may or may not be exhibiting breeding-pair behaviors. But it is autumn. And the young male has been following the young female around since last spring.

SE

Ugh... my incubator that I hatched the first 3 emu babies this year in has decided to go a little nutso and temps are all over the place. I relocated some of the eggs to other incubators. I know have 3 going to see if I can regulate it. I had temps in some areas up to almost 101! Yikes. I wonder if the eggs are even still viable?? I have tossed one from another incubator because it was starting to stink. It didn't have the same textured coating as the others and lost was weight very quickly. The other 14 eggs (if viable are on day 26 and day 27. Thought I detected some small wiggles today but who knows!?

Hope those overheated eggs didn't die off is they were developing.... anyone experience this and still have success?

The 3 babies are almost 4 weeks now and go back to their home this weekend before he sells them too a buyer he has lined up. I chose not to keep any (2 female and 1 male) because I wanted to see what hatches this next round. Also, I didn't want to split one off and have a lonely baby! I am a sucker. Hoping some hatch. I think I want to just keep to males or a male and a female. I don't want to breed and sell... just entertainment on the farm.

The 'breeding-pair' here either are or are not showing early signs of being a breeding-pair.

I notice that the (young) male is vocalising much more, even before dawn (while still at the roost), which is quite unusual.

Otherwise, the three 'home team' birds -- the breeding-pair and the other female -- are doing what all wild emus do at this time: hunker down until the rain brings fresh grass.

SE

chicks 2024.jpg

The only emus I've ever seen by moonlight was Eric and one of his clutches, just short of dawn, under a big bright moon.

Two days ago, though, Sookey Female and her consort spent an hour vocalising in the house-clearing, in the moon light.

Otherwise, it seems more and more as though they will try to breed.

SE

Ugh... my incubator that I hatched the first 3 emu babies this year in has decided to go a little nutso and temps are all over the place. I relocated some of the eggs to other incubators. I know have 3 going to see if I can regulate it. I had temps in some areas up to almost 101! Yikes. I wonder if the eggs are even still viable?? I have tossed one from another incubator because it was starting to stink. It didn't have the same textured coating as the others and lost was weight very quickly. The other 14 eggs (if viable are on day 26 and day 27. Thought I detected some small wiggles today but who knows!?

Hope those overheated eggs didn't die off is they were developing.... anyone experience this and still have success?

The 3 babies are almost 4 weeks now and go back to their home this weekend before he sells them too a buyer he has lined up. I chose not to keep any (2 female and 1 male) because I wanted to see what hatches this next round. Also, I didn't want to split one off and have a lonely baby! I am a sucker. Hoping some hatch. I think I want to just keep to males or a male and a female. I don't want to breed and sell... just entertainment on the farm.
Update: 4 of those 5 eggs that had another even greater temp spike had chicks in them. The time period at higher heat, if only few hours, killed the developing chicks. I did call the manufacturer. Very sad. I still have 10 eggs in, have confirmed 6 wiggling in the last 2 weeks, but only 4 now. Day 50 will be this Saturday. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom