2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

'please dont think bad about me becasue of this pen.'

I'd love to see a pen-development project happen. We've discussed lots of stuff over the years: planting shrubs, planting edibles, sowing grasses, providing ponds, etc.

Supreme Emu

So i had some general question on moving and stuff. I have my emus in a pen at the moment but it isnt quite the best for them. So ive been working on a newer pen which should be done in the next month or so. So this leads to my questions.

1) The newer pen is far away from there current one about 230 feet or so. 200 being attached pens connected to the current emu one and the rest not being fenced. So when its time to move the whats the best way to do it, at the moment i was going to get some help and just hured them to the new pen and use quick fence wire to help. Would that work or is there a better way? And if the emus get away whats the worst that can happen, will they go back to there orignal pen later or do i have to go get them. The farm is fenced with 6 feet wire so it shouldn't really be a big concern if they get away more of a pain.

2) Sence the new pen is farther way, it'll be a pain to deal with in the winter so i was going to move them back then. But i was wonder if i should move them back before they start laying eggs or when it starts to snow and becomes a pain to get to and bring water bucks to. I was more thing will moving them throw them off there egg game.

thxs :)

Tell us the age/size of your emooz, please, 5k, and how tame they are.

'if the emus get away whats the worst that can happen'

An escaped emoo is almost certainly a panicked emoo. There's a sorta 'equation' of spooked-ness: how traumatic the scare was, how tame the bird is, how quiet it is after the escape.

Many U.S. folks -- pet-emu owners -- seem to underestimate how far/fast emus travel. So if, for example, an emu escapes into a area of people/dogs/cars/noise, it is in real danger because it may just keep moving.

Imagine that you could somehow 'turn the world off' after your bird got out. You sit quietly in its pen. You have a plate of some Yummy food. You call quietly to it over and over. It drifts back as it calms down. It mosies back into its pen. Problem solved.

Supreme Emu

PS All pet emus should be taught some sound that indicates food. Here at my place, it's a knuckle tapping on the bottom of their tin feed dish. You see, you can't drive an emu -- you can't get behind it and 'Shoosh' it along. Doesn't work. Full stop.

But if everyone shuts up, and you sit still still still, and go tap tap tap, that's your best bet of 'maneuvring' an emu: bring it towards you.

I have 3 emus 2 are 4 years and the other 4months. The adult female is tame on her own terms, she allows people to touch when she wants it the male is inquisitive but a little jumpy. The younger one is tame but still not to sure about people. They live on a active farm so they have been desensitized ,to the majority of things, they have had trackters and dogs come into there pen without a problem, they by the pen that the goats live in and the pigs vist, they also live with chickens. They have also been near the sounds of guns from killing raccons by there pens, and the sound of expolsion from the quarry. They still are wild animals in a sense so there its really no telling what they are thinking.

In my post i was taking about if the emu got out into the fenced farm and more talking about how it will reacted to its new freedom there is a wide range of diffrent ares on the farm from, wood to flat ot buldings. There in the back of the farm and the two roads by the farm are bind 10 acres of land or a street with little to no traffic.

I have trained the two older owns to come to my whistle but that works really well in there pen and i would guess that trying to move them the 230 feet or so with a whistling might not work so well especially since the are is going to be new and contain a lot of new things and everyone that has emu knows that emus are inquisitive.

I my only have 4 years of experince of rasing emus but i have a great understanding and respect for the birds and would hate for them to get hurt. But i also like to get advises and people experience on emus for my own person well being.

Great answer! Now, I will leave you to be advised by folks who have experience with moving emus in situations such as yours -- I am Wild Emu Guy, and my competencies are quite different.

But I will watch the thread to see how you get on. We have had discussions over the years about stuff like getting emus on and off trailers, and getting them back into pens, and literally trussing them up to get them to vets.*

'I have trained the two older owns to come to my whistle' -- nice!

Supreme Emu. Lake Muir, Western Australia

*Last year I found a baby kangaroo caught in a fence. I carried it home largely upside down, as you'd carry a chicken. That was hard: it was heavy and I am old.

When I got to the house, I 'swaddled' it. That is, I wrapped it in a sheet -- just like a roll-your-own cigarette!
This left its head sticking out one end, and its injured foot sticking out the other. Thus I was able to treat it.
Next morning it ran off into the bush.

Great answer! Now, I will leave you to be advised by folks who have experience with moving emus in situations such as yours -- I am Wild Emu Guy, and my competencies are quite different.

But I will watch the thread to see how you get on. We have had discussions over the years about stuff like getting emus on and off trailers, and getting them back into pens, and literally trussing them up to get them to vets.*

'I have trained the two older owns to come to my whistle' -- nice!

Supreme Emu. Lake Muir, Western Australia

*Last year I found a baby kangaroo caught in a fence. I carried it home largely upside down, as you'd carry a chicken. That was hard: it was heavy and I am old.

When I got to the house, I 'swaddled' it. That is, I wrapped it in a sheet -- just like a roll-your-own cigarette!
This left its head sticking out one end, and its injured foot sticking out the other. Thus I was able to treat it.
Next morning it ran off into the bush.
Thanks. I must ask what is a wild emu man, do you watch them in there habitat or what.

Thats not something many people can say they have done. Good for you. I have heard kangaroos are cositered a pest is that really the case, or is it more people building into there habitat?

'I must ask what is a wild emu man, do you watch them in there habitat or what.'

Yes! My little project -- 'Planet Rothschildi' -- is known from the U.K. to the Mexican border.

It seems that no one has ever made an intergenerational study of emu behavior. We have learned lots of things that aren't in the literature.

I've observed the same family of emus for 15 years. The two young females who came for their bit of wheat at dawn today are the grandkids of 'Eric,' the original emu.

There is a nice and respectful relationship between everyone else and me, 5k. I know nothing at all about store-bought feed or vaccines or incubation. But am familiar with the diets and behaviors of wild emus.

'I have heard kangaroos are cosidered a pest, is that really the case'

Sadly, there is a large percentage of Australians who see nature as some stuff that just gets in the way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom