2023/2024 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Only just saw this - how's it doing? I've had a few hatch with partially open navels like that and they've just closed and scabbed on their own within a couple days.
Its "closed" and dried but there is still a little nub or something like the skin didn't close over but rather that flesh dried? Not sure how best to describe it. He is acting like a normal emu, getting his legs, tasting food/ water and his siblings toes. He is smaller and oh so cute! I guess only time will tell if that dried area is intestinal and effects his digestion in any way. Hopefully not!

How is your hatch going?
20240412_085212.jpg
20240412_085226.jpg
20240412_085245.jpg

No. The other one didn’t make it unfortunately. 😔 The egg that hatched pipped internally Thursday (day 54). The other egg didn’t but was rocking quite violently lol

By last night (Friday, day 55) the internally pipped egg had externally pipped but the other hadn’t made any progress and seemed like it was getting weak. I made a very small hole in the air cell end in case it had internally pipped and was running out of air.
By this morning (Saturday, day 56) the pipped egg had hatched but still no progress from the other. When I took it out to inspect there was no movement at all. At that point I decided to break open the air cell end of the egg and noticed that it had not even internally pipped and seemed lifeless. I opened the membrane realized then that the chick had passed. It seemed as if it was malpositioned because the head was towards the top of the egg rather than down by the air cell. It still had a bit of yolk that was not absorbed as well.
I’m not sure if that was the cause or if there is anything I could have done better or differently to save it but I’m happy that both shipped eggs did develop and we have one healthy baby. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom