First timer - day 23 and two eggs haven't hatched

Purple House

Songster
Dec 14, 2016
Kentucky
This was my first time hatching eggs, I used true Ameraucana eggs from my flock. My incubator is a Brinsea Mini Advance which I set with 7 eggs. Yesterday on day 22 four chicks hatched. This morning I float tested the three remaining. One was bad, I candled it to make sure and it's been discarded. The other two passed the float test and I see a nice air sac. Since these are green eggs I never was able to see veins or embryos, only air sacs. And yes I used a small LED flashlight in a dark closet!

So my question is, how long do I give these two eggs? I don't see any movement and don't hear any chirping.

Thanks for your advice
smile.png

Okay so you're saying you didn't get any movement. At day 23 you have three options. 1. Do nothing for a few more days just in case. 2. Put a small hole in the air sac end and look inside. 3. Toss them.

@Purple House : I'm wondering how your air sac check went with your eggs.
I was in a similar situation yesterday, with three eggs at day 24, and wondering what to do. I found the float test info on this thread, and performed the test last night.
Of the three, one was a sinker. After cracking it open, I found it had not developed after the first candling. :(
The other two were low floaters, with one of them showing movement in the water. I put both of them back in hatcher, and went to bed, keeping my fingers crossed for chicks this morning. There is still no progress on either of them, and so I am thinking about trying the air sac peek.
Have any of the other members dealt with this issue, and performed the air sac peek?
Should add, these are Rhode Island Red eggs. Not sure if it's this way for others, but my experience has found they're difficult to see through during candling in the later stages.

The two that were left had died during lock down due to low humidity in our house. I complained about it to Brinsea on facebook since you can't add water during lock down, they sent me a replacement for the bottom of the incubator that lets you add water to the reservoir without opening the incubator up. I hope the next hatch goes better. I'm using the Brinsea Mini Advance.

Good luck with yours.

The two that were left had died during lock down due to low humidity in our house. I complained about it to Brinsea on facebook since you can't add water during lock down, they sent me a replacement for the bottom of the incubator that lets you add water to the reservoir without opening the incubator up. I hope the next hatch goes better. I'm using the Brinsea Mini Advance.

Good luck with yours.
I have found the easiest thing to do is just add a wet washcloth to the incubator. If I need to get it up more then I mist some water into there.

When people with auto turners go to remove them, that is when they add water to the wells. I assume you don't have a turner, but you could still remove the eggs and fill the wells. I know its a moot point now that you have the replacement bottom, but that is what I would have done if I wanted to fill the wells.

What was your humidity and did you use an different meter?

@Purple House : I'm wondering how your air sac check went with your eggs.
I was in a similar situation yesterday, with three eggs at day 24, and wondering what to do. I found the float test info on this thread, and performed the test last night.
Of the three, one was a sinker. After cracking it open, I found it had not developed after the first candling. :(
The other two were low floaters, with one of them showing movement in the water. I put both of them back in hatcher, and went to bed, keeping my fingers crossed for chicks this morning. There is still no progress on either of them, and so I am thinking about trying the air sac peek.
Have any of the other members dealt with this issue, and performed the air sac peek?
Should add, these are Rhode Island Red eggs. Not sure if it's this way for others, but my experience has found they're difficult to see through during candling in the later stages.
I don't have that problem but I use a headlamp, not a commercial candler. A candler came with one of my incubators but I consider it nearly useless. They make them way too dim for anything but white eggs, and I don't understand why. My headlamp is 800 lumens and I can candle Marans and guinea eggs.

Back
Top Bottom