Identify ducklings? Take a peek at these "Pekins"

Ashleymarie529

Chirping
Feb 17, 2017
Katy (Houston), TX
So I decided I wanted to get some ducklings and I went to a feed store an hour away to get the breed I wanted, 4 Pekins... everything was dandy until week 3 when 3/4 of them started to feather in (what appear to be) BUFF feathers. The other one is growing in silvery grey feathers...

I know for sure they aren't the pekins I was led to believe they were. They sure looked like pekins to me as a new duck owner but the feathers have spoken. They are anything BUT.

Anyone know what they might be?? My guess for the three reddish ones is Buff or white and Fawn runners. The white/silver one could be anything. Here's some pics.

Any and all guesses would be appreciated! They are now 5 1/2 weeks old, so I understand if y'all can't really make conclusive guesses yet. :)

I thought maybe Welsh Harlequin as well. Do runner ducks really stand as tall as the ones in the pics online? And do you think I may have a pekin mix or something with the buff colored ones? :idunno

Last edited:
I dont think those are runners. It depends on whose pictures you look at, and sometimes they catch a really funny position, but runners are usually much more erect than your ducks look.
They could be buffs! Im looking at those brown bills...
Where did you get them?

I got them from Santa Fe feed down in Alvin, Tx. Kind of a mom and pop place really. I hear now, after the fact, that it's kind of a sketchy place and by sketchy I think people mean that you may not get what you thought...

Back
Top Bottom