Nest boxes?

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
So I have one turkey and I've noticed that she started to lay eggs in my nest boxes. I am just about to start remodeling the henhouse and was wondering if I should make larger nest boxes to accommodate turkeys. So my question is is it normal for turkeys to use nest boxes or should I just keep him chicken size... this just a fluke? I plan on having more turkeys in the future, is why I'm asking I guess.

If so what size should I make the nest boxes? The ines I have are pretty big but are falling apart(carpentry skills ha e improved I hope, since I fist got chickens)

Slip over to the century of turkey talk thread. @memphis just built one so her hens don't ding up their tails. I'm sure she has good specs.

I can't tell you specs as I let my hens use doghouses or a piece of plywood leaned against the wall.

Mine mostly nest on the ground. If you continue to collect the eggs they will move to a new site. From my experiences they don't continuously lay in the same spot like a chicken does. I do have a plastic dog house that mine will use until the grass and weeds start to grow, than they switch to ground nests in the weeds.

I have very large plastic dog crates with straw in them and the hens seem to like them. Of course one uses a stall in the barn - she likes lots of space.

Back
Top Bottom