Double yolks

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
One of my EE's is laying double yolked eggs. The first was large and looked like a double. The others have been kinda weird. Small and long with the yolks being marble sized. They have just been laying a couple weeks. Is this something to be concerned about? They are 5 months old and still on the smallish size.

She may or may not. This might just be a temporary thing with her being a new layer. Possibly she may continue or lay normal eggs some days and odd ones others. Sorry for not being able to give a straight answer!

I got 5 EEs, 2-3 had layed double to triple yolks (dinosaurian eggs) the first 2 months of laying after a few months they were laying regular size eggs. Now couple of my leghorns and Wyandottes had also done this when they were younger layers, sometime you get marble size eggs, sometime humungous, they get the hang of it afterwards.

My Golden Comet, she is six month's old, laid a triple yolk. She was egg bound last weekend and finally laid a huge egg (the triple yolk) and one egg without a shell at the same time. This took two days of steam, warm baths and lots of help to get her through this period.

This is also the second egg without a shell (just in the membrane). I had added calcium and more greens to her diet. Any ideas on how to care for her to hopefully avoid these adventures?

Back
Top Bottom