Oxytetracycline HCI has any one used wither layers ??

hunter58

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Gainesville GA
I have purchased oxytetracycline hci for my layers, ??
Is a 7 day withdrawal period before eating eggs, enough time ?

thanks

Last edited:
Question for you: why do you want to medicate your flock with antibiotics? Tetracyclines are not very broad spectrum, so not very useful unless you are going after something susceptible.

There are no labeled antibiotics for laying hens. Off label usage is rampant with people with backyard flocks as one can buy them at the local feedstore.

These are labeled for other species, or for meat birds. Meat withdrawal is different than egg withdrawal to avoid residues. The egg cycle is about 2 weeks, which is what most people withdraw eggs for- but this should be just for you and your family- as there are NO published withdrawal times for eggs- so the residue risk is just for you. If you sell eggs or give them to people, you should not use off label drugs without disclosure.

some hens are coughing and gurgling.
I havent opened the package yet and can take it back, but thats all they had, and what they recomended.

what should i use ???

thanks

I sell eggs, so am very restricted on what I could use. I would go to the top of the index and read the sticky about 'having a sick bird' post answers to the questions if applicable. Age of birds, source, ect would be helpful. Have you brought new birds in recently? Have any died? Do they smell bad? Pick one up and look at it carefully- eyes, nose, inside of mouth ect- describe what you see.

Back
Top Bottom