Dosage for corid 9.6% oral solution

Thanks. How do I treat just her if I don't have a place to isolate her? Or should they all drink the water even if I don't think they have it?

Thanks, dawg53. I'm not sure it's cocci and it will not be possible to get a vet answer. Would you dose your hen if you only guessed it might be that?

Here is a page on coccidiosis:
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html

Here is the "poo page." You can see if your bloody poo is really shed intestinal lining, which would be normal. (That is, if you are seeing bloody poo.)
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

What age is your chicken and what symptoms do you see? If you are pretty sure it is coccidiosis, then you don't have much time. It is a very fast killer.

Older chickens don't tend to get it unless their immune systems are messed up. The classic picture is a lethargic young chicken, less than 8 weeks old or thereabouts, with feathers fluffed up.

It sits off by itself, sometimes with eyes closed. There may or may not be bloody poo. It usually refuses to eat or drink, and you must force it to drink to get the medication.

If you dose with Corid, the bloody poo should be gone within 24 hours.

Oh, and Dawg53 knows his stuff- he is a bit legendary around here- treat all of them if you treat one (if they have been mixed).

Last edited:
Thanks, ChickensAreSweet. My hen is 24 weeks old. Three days ago she started to sit and not move very much. I did see her drink water but she did not try to get in the flurry of the other chickens to get the scratch I threw out. The day before yesterday I was very concerned about her and expected to find a dead hen yesterday morning. But there she was sitting in the middle of the other chickens, panting but at the door. I checked her vent and found a bit of yellow diarrhea on her feathers. No blood in poo anywhere. Yesterday I gave her vitamins and some kaytee exact which she ate. Later in the day I gave her yogurt and rice. She ate that and drank some water. I saw a very watery yellow discharge of poo. She has no rattling breath or signs of respiratory other than the panting. It is as if she has the flu. At the end of the day I made her a nice nest of hay around her to keep her warm. I hope to find her better this morning but I'm not counting on it. That's why I wondered if I should treat for Cocci since her age is older and no blood in the poo. That's why I asked Dawg53 if he would treat her if I was only guessing. I'm only in my second year of chicken obsession and have SO much to learn. All my chickens seem very healthy. But in this cold weather they tend to only stay in the barn. They don't like snow. So I thought maybe there was more poo around than usual even though I clean it every other day as much as I can find. The other chickens aren't bothering her even though I saw one of the young roosters try to mount her, she got up and sort of waddled away with slightly drooping wings. She's not the kind of chicken that likes to be held but offered no resistance to my picking her up. She's definitely off and I'd like to help her if I can. And of course, I'm concerned about the other chickens.

I checked her vent and felt all around it. I didn't feel anything that felt like an egg. Her crop seems fine as well. I didn't consider worms. This morning she is still alive, but her beak is parted and she really resisted eating. I'm afraid she will be passing. But she is comfortable and it will be a sunny warmer day. I think this process teaches me how to let go of the things I can't control and be suspect of the things I think I can....

Quote:
Check her poop for worms. If she's this sick and if there's a worm infestation, you should be able to see a couple of worms in her poop. They will be off white in color, very thin and round in shape, about 1-2 inches in length...roundworms. I suspect your hen is eggbound though. Try soaking her underside in warm water, gently massaging her underside for about 15 minutes. Then using a plastic glove, pour some olive oil on it and stick your finger in her vent checking for any obstructions, such as broken eggshell or soft piece of shell. Then lube her vent with olive oil. The stretching and lubing combined with the warm water massaging will help expand her innards so that a 'stuck' egg can slip out easier and pass. ETA; if you see worms, let us know...we'll go from there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom