how do i stop my dang rooster from attacking me?

brahmakid11

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
sitting on the toilet
how do i stop my dang rooster from attacking me? he has attacked me 9 times my little brother twice my little sisters friend one and my big brother twice
how do i get him to stop should i eat him?

Just doing a search on this site pulls up lots of discussions already about aggressive roosters. It seems that some people have had success establishing their "alpha roo" dominance over the rooster, and sometimes it doesn't work and they have to be removed. If he's drawing blood, I'd say he's already had his chance. But if you want to give it a try, a few things to do are not let him mount the hens in your presence and push him off if he tries. Also, if he charges, pin his head down to the ground and hold it there for a minute, just don't let yourself get scratched or bit! This is just from what I've read, though. My roo is very friendly, thank goodness!

Much depends on his sexual maturity and how long it's been going on. Pre-mating age, it's often just boundary testing and can be stopped. Post sexual maturity is much, much harder to near impossible. Some roosters are just pretty much programmed to be human aggressive. It's often inherited from dear old dad.

Some breeds are more aggressive than others. My White Rock roos are gentle as can be and have never become aggressive with me. My Silver Sebright bantams on the other hand have had their share of leg bumping.

There are a lot of good roos out there. Don't spend too much time on a bad one.

Stew pot.

No mercy. He is attacking children.

There are lots of excellent roosters out there without homes. There is no reason to fill up a space in your flock with a monster when good natured and beautiful chickens are losing their lives because there are no homes for them. Replace him with a rooster that deserves to have a good home.

I agree that if you want to try to rehabilitate to check out some of the suggestions on the thread or if you are just fed up with his bad behavior to where you prefer him gone there are alot of great chicken recipes to choose from.

thumbsup.gif

Stew pot.

No mercy. He is attacking children.​

Quote:
When I read this thread some weeks ago, I laughed so hard I cried. My advice is try what is set forth in the very first post. The, ahem, "boxing match" if that doesn't work, stewpot. No reason to have a rooster you are afraid of. My sweet boy won't even mount a hen in my presence--he won't even crow if he thinks I'm looking--and he looooves to be cuddled.

Plenty of sweet roosters go to freezer camp because nobody wants them. You could give one of THEM a home. (Of course if you're really sadistic, get a sweet rooster and treat him well--cook up a nice chicken dinner for him provided by the terror you're dealing with now!)

Back
Top Bottom