Debeaking?

GUSRENTIT

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 29, 2011
Pueblo West, Co.
I just read on some other site, that people "debeak" chickens. Can anyone tell me if this is really needed? How many of you do this? If it really is needed, how do you do it? Boy, I'm learning a ton here. I'm not getting a single chick until I have every detail nailed down.
Thanks Folks

Of course it's not needed! It's horribly inhumane.
sad.png
It's done by commercial poultry places b/c otherwise the horrible overcrowding and stress cause the poor birds to pick themselves and their co-inmates (if allowed contact) to death.

X2

No one in their right minds would debeak a chicken. That's only commercial places that do that, if someone is doing it to their flock then I feel very sorry for the chickens.

Im not one to judge the humanity of this because when you think about it how humane is some of the butchering methods of animals. Its a much debated issue on how much pain this causes the bird and if its prolonged. Im not saying im pro on this idea id never do it to my birds and the ones i have seen with it done didnt look to happy to me. Im just saying lets not pass judgment without knowing all the facts.

The fact is that cutting off a bird's beak is inhumane. Period.

I also don't agree with butchering. But we're not talking about that here--just debeaking.

Your just saying its inhumane just for the sake of saying it without any reasoning really. I never said its humane i just said maybe we should come to the conclusions with a little more reasoning then just because and i never said buthering is inhumane i said some methods tend to be.

Quote:
It's inhumane because there's no reason for it unless you keep a bird in such close confinement with other birds that they would peck each other to pieces if they had their natural beaks.

It would be somewhat like pulling out all of your top teeth.

Quote:
Nope, not needed at all. Don't worry, we aren't saying there's anything wrong with you asking, but a lot of people here, including me, find it not humane. Good luck on your first chicks!

Back
Top Bottom