Mixed breeds

Pics

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
How do you feel about them if they are done for no real purpose? We ended up with one cock. I've decided what happens happens. If a hen decides to go broody and hatch some chicks that's fine with me. I have 4 different breeds all run together so the chances of all the chicks being mixed breed is pretty darn high.

Disgraceful or no?

Well, if it's shameful than I will be too. I wasn't planning on any roo's in my flock but faulty sexing decided otherwise. So... I now have about 10 different breeds(all pure bred) that soon will not be. If I do sell chicks they will simply be Barnyard Mixes. Many others will completely disagree with me, but what are you gonna do? Right?

Well,if you are intent on breed purity... Then you separate. But so many of us get hatchery birds, and a lot of them are not as pure as wethink. The color correct etc... Me, well I have more barnyard mutts than anything, and a lot of them are so beautiful. I am ashamed to say that people can kiss my roosters hiney if they want. My mutts are mine and I don't try and sell them to people for purity. I am very clear. I have people stop and take pictures ofmy flock all the time. So that is good enough to make me even more proud of my beautiful mutts.

clap.gif
WELL PUT!!!
celebrate.gif

I don't think you'll get too much of an argument from most people about mixed breed chickens. If you plan on showing your birds or breeding with a goal to preserve a heritage breed, then a mixed breed is completely worthless for those purposes. However, if your reason for having, and breeding, chickens is just to have some yard birds that lay eggs you can eat, any chicken will do for that regardless of whether they're purebred or mixed breed. The eggs all taste the same regardless of breed/parentage, and once a chicken is dispatched, plucked, and cleaned you can't really tell what breed they were anyway unless you knew to begin with. And chances are, the mixed breeds are going to be just as good, if not better in some cases, at it than the purebreds. I have an issue with people mixing breeds of domestic companion animals because there is a very real pet overpopulation problem in this country and I find it to be very irresponsible. But most livestock and production animals do not suffer from the same problem as any "unwanted" extras generally get eaten by somebody.

Mixed birds can be and sometimes are better than the pure birds in regards to egg production , temperament, etc. I see nothing wrong with mixed chickens. If yours go broody you could always sell them on craigslist as barnyard mixes or keep them for eggs and meat.

the only thing most people will ask you here to do is if you do sell them to make sure that you let people know they are mixes other than that i have pure and mixed breeds and love them all. a matter of fact i have an oegb rooster covering 2 "d'uccle" and a polish and i plan on hatching some of those eggs when they start to lay (or at least a month after they start laying). and in another pen thats gonna have all d'uccle in it as soon as i get it fully up has a self blue rooster, a porcelain pullet, and 2 silkieXd'uccle mixes all laying with eggs in the bator which should hatch next week and the following week :-D

i would offer some silkieXd'uccle mixes but i only have to pullets laying and no more than those so i only get 1-2 eggs a day and sometimes i dont get any at all

Back
Top Bottom