Chickens in Madera? Fresno?

dancingflower68

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Manteca, CA
Hi everybody! Well, my husband was just offered a job in Fresno, so it looks like we will be moving soon. From what I can decipher, chickens are NOT allowed in Fresno, can anyone verify that? I was thinking perhaps we could move to Madera instead, but I can't find any info on keeping hens there at all. I read the municipal code, and it's very vague and I can't find anything on poultry, except that your animals including poultry cannot make nuisance noise. I only have 3 pullets, and I don't plan on getting anymore, but I was kinda hoping to find a place in town that would allow them, because I'm all about intensive urban gardening at this point and don't really want (nor can we afford!) an acreage. Any help/personal experience would be greatly appreciated! TIA ~Deanna

Not sure if you have an answer yet but City of Fresno and City of Clovis say chickens are technically illegal but they do not hunt you down for it unless someone complains about noise/smell and then you can be fined $650 and have to get rid of them. Frankly I think it's ridiculous to prevent chickens if you have a backyard because people's dogs are way noisy and the sewage system under the streets are smellier than my chickens were.

However if you live in Fresno county just outside the city limits you can have livestock of all sorts. There are houses in the country around here. Probably more expensive than city houses but that's because of land that comes with them.

Looks like you are probably already in the area. I found that Red Stars from mypetchicken and muffed easter eggers are pretty quiet birds. I'm trying out bantams later this month to see how they do in my city backyard.

Carla

The old parkwood area in madera will allow you to raise several chickens and pets. Very pet-friendly community, with homes for rent under the $950 price range.

Back
Top Bottom