Whats the best chicken and age to butcher and eat?

XL506

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
Hey family!
I am getting ready to order chicks from McMurray. I was wondering, what are the best type of chicken ( Best tasting ). And also when is the best age to butcher them to eat them? Please help so I can order soon today! thanks

HA! no one replied!!!

What did you end up getting?

In all my chicken reading it seemed like (if you were going to go with something non-cornish cross) that the Dorking and Speckled Sussex were supposed to be especially tasty.

Anyone do a breed taste test?

If you do some searching, the only meat bird like the ones in the store are going to be the cornish x's meat birds. Dress out at 8 weeks for good meat. If you go "dual" purpose, it will be i12-16 weeks for a bird half the size.

I have butchered many breeds of chickens..and in my opinion they all taste the same . I look at it like this.....how much do you want to pay for chicken . You can get it in the store on sale for 99cents a lb , but it tastes like crap . We raise cornish cross (2 different breeds) one takes longer than the other to dress out at a decent weight . The longer you feed them to bulk them up...the more expensive the meat becomes . Cornish cross breeds are ready in about 6-8 weeks . Dual purpose take about twice that long to dress out at 4-6 lbs . Depending on the breed . I butchered a BR at 12 months and she dressed out at 3 lbs . It all depends on how much you want to put into it . Wait too long and all you have is chicken noodle soup . Personally I'd go with an actual meat bird , but I'm frugal . I end up spending more on my meat birds than I do if I would have bought "organic natural" chicken at the store . Just my thoughts .

In the McMurray catalog it says that Lakenvelders forage and have large breasts and dress out to be like a nice little game bird; otherwise the cornish crosses that take a couple more weeks to grow, I think process at 8-10 weeks

Most chicken taste the same, I have discovered that they seem to get more tasty if you slaughter later. With most breeds i try to keep the birds until 12 or 13 weeks old. But the longer you keep them the tougher the meet gets, you wouldn't want to keep a white rock until it was 13 weeks, you'd be chewing on rubber. Over the years i have settled on 8 weeks for most birds and i get a nice compromise of flavor and texture. I have to say, of all the different breeds I've ever slaughtered, the Cochin is the best flavor, and you can slaughter much later without the worry of tough meat.

We have bantams, and just killed butchered 7 roos. They were from last spring.... definitely think we waited too long! I know these arent meat chickens, but its what we were given. We just ordered 12 R.I.R. eggs egg layers, but do they make good eating?

I wait until 20 weeks or so to process my dual-purpose birds, otherwise they are very small and not very meaty. I find good-quality Delawares to be excellent for both egg laying and meat production - Sand Hill Preservation has very nice Delawares for both.

Back
Top Bottom