Rhode Island

Pics
Chicks are 4 weeks old today. Moved them out to the coop yesterday (with a heat lamp). They are pretty much fully feathered and some were starting to fly out of the brooder in the house. Plan to keep them confined to the enclosed part of the coop for the next week. Hopefully the weather will continue to warm up around here.

6 weeks old now. All doing well. Beginning to suspect one of my White Leghorns is a cockerel vice pullet. Comb is much more prominent than all the others. Will have to find it another home if this turns out to be true. Only issue is getting them to all go inside the coop at night. Any suggestions? Have an automatic door with photocell.

Any other Rhode Islanders out there? This is starting to feel more like a blog than a chat thread.

Hello from Charlestown RI!!
We have a small flock of 6 Barred Rocks all a year old.
We just hatched out 5 chicks six weeks ago. 2 Buff Orpington hens, 1 BO Roo, 1 Red Cuckoo Orpington hen and a Red Orpington Roo.
Unfortunately I can't keep the Roos and will need to find a good home for them. But for now we are a happy family with 9 Beautiful chickens that we love to pieces.
So happy to find a RI thread here.

Hey Yo from Riverside!

My hubby and I started small with some "classroom born" incubated babies...

Our two RIR's and our Dominique are nearing their fourth week, and have learned how to escape from our brooder box. We researched building our own coop, but hubby found one he really liked from a local farm that produces them, delivers and sets them up so we're hoping for delivery soon while the babies are still tolerant of being indoors. We take them out for short periods of time if the weather is nice, and they already love their dust baths.... We built them a roost last weekend and they already love that too... They're funny to watch!! Our shih-tzu is enthralled with them...

Our coop is going to hold 6 to 8 chickens though... and we're thinking of adding to our little flock just in case our three turn out to be boys.... Does anyone know some good places to go in Rhode Island or over the border mass to buy more little hopefully laying flufflets?

Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom