Pipped the wrong end :/

becky357

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Aberdeenshire, Scotland,
Hi all im new to this site and im also new to incubating duck eggs. Could somebody help me my cayuga egg pipped yesterday and has made some progress today but its the wrong end, can they still hatch if this end or will i need to help it? Thanks

Hi all im new to this site and im also new to incubating duck eggs. Could somebody help me my cayuga egg pipped yesterday and has made some progress today but its the wrong end, can they still hatch if this end or will i need to help it? Thanks

Yes it should still hatch! U would have better luck asking on(formally known as hatch day is today) they have great advise oh wt to do!! Good luck with ur little baby!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that there really is such a thing as the baby pip-ing on the wrong end; we've had chicks cause pips on either end, sometimes even more toward the center. It's better to let the baby work its way out than to help it

Hi sorry for late reply been a busy few days, the duckling needed help getting out of the egg as it was stuck for quite some time. its in the brooder now and its head is tilted to the side as if it has a bad neck and also it cant open up its feet, im thinking its because it was in an awkward position for a long time. Have anyone have this happen before?:/

I have read about this on the forum, and it sounds like a thiamine or niacin deficiency or both.

People have added 100 to 150 mg of niacin (plain, not no-flush) per gallon of drinking water for a couple of months. Some have added brewer's yeast to the food daily. I think some have added some Vitamin E. Often, improvement begins within days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

Hi thanks for the links, I will be getting some for the little duckie asap I feel so sorry for it I started crying this morning when I held it and he looked at me with his cute little eyes lol sad I know but I just feel so helples. Hes fine though hes drinking and eating by its self now so its made a small improvement. Thanks again it has helped a great deal!!:)

Back
Top Bottom