Duck eggs day 26 pipped on the wrong end

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
I have a Bator full of eggs (33 eggs in total, 24 supposed to be hatching the next few days and the rest in a week )

I woke up this morning with one pipped on the right end but no progress since ( not sure when it pipped. It's 5pm )

Sometime between 2-5 I have another egg pipped on the wrong end... And membrane looks a little yellow so I dabbed a little coconut oil on it

I can't for the life of me to have my humidity up pass 60... I now have a wet towel around a corner of the incubator see if It will help

This is my first time really hatching duck eggs and they are from my own flock

I have read that you don't have to worry till after 24 hours

I guess I'm just looking for some assurance

First pic is when I have the eggs in lock down the ones in the tray are for next hatch so I don't want the hatching ones to kick them.
Second pic is the first pipped egg but no progress since

Third pic is what I noticed this afternoon. I dabbed a little coconut oil on the membrane

Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230423_033019323.jpg
    PXL_20230423_033019323.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 202
  • PXL_20230425_121053487.jpg
    PXL_20230425_121053487.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20230425_185856773.jpg
    PXL_20230425_185856773.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 34
@New duck mommy 2021

Ducklings can take a while between the external pip and actually starting to zip. It's hard work, and those first breaths of fresh air help trigger the absorption of the yolk and gives the duckling the energy to finish the job, so to speak.

If there's a pip, even on the wrong side, don't cover it with anything as it will block the oxigen the baby needs to breathe. The edges is fine.

Also, a couple of days at higher humidity will be okay and won't harm the other eggs.

First pip in the correct end could take 24-48 hours so don’t worry. The pip is in the right place
Second one in wrong end will take longer 48-72 hours. We add the 24 hour step baby missed from the air cell. It’s made it’s own pip so don’t worry until 72 hours
Most times if they make the pip they also hatch themselves
If nothing by 48 hours you can open the crack a little to pencil eraser to dime size
I like to stay smaller that way I’m not having to wet the membrane
My wrong end babies have taken 52-60 hours

@New duck mommy 2021

Ducklings can take a while between the external pip and actually starting to zip. It's hard work, and those first breaths of fresh air help trigger the absorption of the yolk and gives the duckling the energy to finish the job, so to speak.

If there's a pip, even on the wrong side, don't cover it with anything as it will block the oxigen the baby needs to breathe. The edges is fine.

Also, a couple of days at higher humidity will be okay and won't harm the other eggs.
Thank you for your reply !!
This is my first time hatching duck eggs. And first time I actually have this many eggs made to lock down lol.
I put in 17 duck eggs and 3 goose eggs the first round and only lost 1 duck and 1 goose eggs

I did take the one with wrong end pipped and break the membrane for it. As it seems only knocked down the shell but didn't penetrate the membrane. I'm worried he is going to run out of air . And I put him right back with a piece of wet paper towel under him

I have stopped turning the other eggs a couple of days ago too. They are all waterfowls so I'm hoping they will be okay

First pip in the correct end could take 24-48 hours so don’t worry. The pip is in the right place
Second one in wrong end will take longer 48-72 hours. We add the 24 hour step baby missed from the air cell. It’s made it’s own pip so don’t worry until 72 hours
Most times if they make the pip they also hatch themselves
If nothing by 48 hours you can open the crack a little to pencil eraser to dime size
I like to stay smaller that way I’m not having to wet the membrane
My wrong end babies have taken 52-60 hours

Thank you for your reply
I went and opened the membrane part for the one who pipped on the wrong end. As it seems only break the shell and the membrane seems to be not broken I was afraid it's gonna run out of air but that's all. I kinda teared it a little so I can see the beak and air can get in. I had a piece of wet paper towel under the end and returned the egg with the paper towel

Is there any tips on how I can keep the humidity up ? Or add water
I have a hovabator and the water slot is right under the eggs. And I have a piece of shelf liner under all eggs 🤦🤦 not sure why I did that this time as the incubator is full of eggs. That I don't even know if they will have room to move around.

I have two small pieces of sponge in the corner with water. And wet cloth wrapped on the corner too. I'm thinking about adding a piece of paper towel to the edge going into the incubator then add wet cloth on top from the outside so the paper towel can wick the water in lol . My humidity is currently at 60 and I can't get it any higher

Thank you for your reply
I went and opened the membrane part for the one who pipped on the wrong end. As it seems only break the shell and the membrane seems to be not broken I was afraid it's gonna run out of air but that's all. I kinda teared it a little so I can see the beak and air can get in. I had a piece of wet paper towel under the end and returned the egg with the paper towel

Is there any tips on how I can keep the humidity up ? Or add water
I have a hovabator and the water slot is right under the eggs. And I have a piece of shelf liner under all eggs 🤦🤦 not sure why I did that this time as the incubator is full of eggs. That I don't even know if they will have room to move around.

I have two small pieces of sponge in the corner with water. And wet cloth wrapped on the corner too. I'm thinking about adding a piece of paper towel to the edge going into the incubator then add wet cloth on top from the outside so the paper towel can wick the water in lol . My humidity is currently at 60 and I can't get it any higher
Did you calibrate a hygrometer and set it inside the bator ?
Often the bator readings are not accurate
I would remove the wet paper towel from under that egg
We don’t want the egg itself getting wet
My incubator says 48 -55 when my calibrated hygrometer reads 65-70
In fact my incubator reads 48 before I ever add water when my calibrated hygrometer reads 30
That’s why I don’t trust them

Did you calibrate a hygrometer and set it inside the bator ?
Often the bator readings are not accurate
I would remove the wet paper towel from under that egg
We don’t want the egg itself getting wet
My incubator says 48 -55 when my calibrated hygrometer reads 65-70
In fact my incubator reads 48 before I ever add water when my calibrated hygrometer reads 30
That’s why I don’t trust them
I don't have a calibrated one actually
I can't for the life of me finding one digital thermometer that's calibrateable and affordable. I have one of the weather station in my incubator not the one with separate sensor. By the look of how many eggs made to lock down I think it's relatively accurate.

Now I just checked and have 6 eggs pipped. One made to pip but the first one never made any progress 😭😭😭. I can hear chirping but I can't tell which one is chirping. New pipped ones are rocking too. But not the first one, I'm a little worried

What do I do if he doesn't make any progress tomorrow morning ? Which will be 24 + hours then

I don't have a calibrated one actually
I can't for the life of me finding one digital thermometer that's calibrateable and affordable. I have one of the weather station in my incubator not the one with separate sensor. By the look of how many eggs made to lock down I think it's relatively accurate.

Now I just checked and have 6 eggs pipped. One made to pip but the first one never made any progress 😭😭😭. I can hear chirping but I can't tell which one is chirping. New pipped ones are rocking too. But not the first one, I'm a little worried

What do I do if he doesn't make any progress tomorrow morning ? Which will be 24 + hours then
If nothing after 24 hours you could make a small home the size of an pencil eraser right where the pip is
Don’t go bigger then that as then you have to wet membrane ect and be in and out of bator non stop
I kept my assisted babies with the small hole till time to hatch them
I never had to wet membrane and baby wasn’t pushing out with a bigger hole
I candle the side of the egg and I’m able to see the veins that way
Once I see they are all gone I thrn help baby
I’ll post pics of my wrong end as you can see how I candle the side to look for veins
Also how big the holes are I make them leave them be till hatch
I do the side candling with both wrong and correct end ones
The air cell doesn’t show the upper veins that’s why I go on top / side past the air cell dip

Attachments

• 3835D82B-2A00-40A8-A44C-C91EAEB82F97.jpeg
    3835D82B-2A00-40A8-A44C-C91EAEB82F97.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 14A875E0-CB1C-4E47-82D4-60D48C291A5B.png
    14A875E0-CB1C-4E47-82D4-60D48C291A5B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
If nothing after 24 hours you could make a small home the size of an pencil eraser right where the pip is
Don’t go bigger then that as then you have to wet membrane ect and be in and out of bator non stop
I kept my assisted babies with the small hole till time to hatch them
I never had to wet membrane and baby wasn’t pushing out with a bigger hole
I candle the side of the egg and I’m able to see the veins that way
Once I see they are all gone I thrn help baby
I’ll post pics of my wrong end as you can see how I candle the side to look for veins
Also how big the holes are I make them leave them be till hatch
I do the side candling with both wrong and correct end ones
The air cell doesn’t show the upper veins that’s why I go on top / side past the air cell dip
Thank you so much for your reply

Can I make the hole the same spot there it pipped ? Is it okay if I just peel off the shell part and open the membrane ?

I am a little worried as it hasn't made any progress or movement that I can see in the last almost 24 hours :( hope he didn't die in the shell

As for the other one pipped on the wrong end. Does the membrane look dry ?
It is not stuck on him or anything just feel like little peeled off the side of the shell
Shall I wet it ? It's still aborbing yolk as I can see his bill shake and open.

Attachments

• PXL_20230426_053311030.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230426_053311030.PORTRAIT.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom