HELP!

SammyKay

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
I had originally thought my ducklings internally pipped because I saw their beaks coming through when I candled them. I waited 24 hours and then put a little needle sized safety hole. Then waited another 24 hours and made a slightly bigger hole only to find out that they actually hadn't internally pipped at all. I made the bigger hole today on day 24. Now I don't know what to do. Did I just doom these ducklings? 20240130_173208.jpg one of the eggs has a lot smaller of a hole about the size of a tack and the other one is way too big because I was pretty confused why I wasn't seeing any pip in the membrane. This is my first time hatching eggs and I'm kind of freaking out right now. What do I do?

I did the same thing with my first hatch. That duckling needed assistance hatching later on but I had that duck for many years. So, no, you did not doom them. I would moisten a paper towel and put it over the hole. Then, wait, watch, and assist only if necessary because hatching does not progress after external pip.

I did the same thing with my first hatch. That duckling needed assistance hatching later on but I had that duck for many years. So, no, you did not doom them. I would moisten a paper towel and put it over the hole. Then, wait, watch, and assist only if necessary because hatching does not progress after external pip.
Well, that certainly makes me feel a little better. The egg with the bigger hole previously wasn't moving all the much yesterday and this morning, and all of a sudden its egg is rocking so much it's having a little party in there it looks like haha. But the one that I only put a smaller hole in was active a lot yesterday and I haven't seen its egg rocking today. Just hoping maybe it's resting. Fingers crossed these little guys make it after my screw up.

Well, that certainly makes me feel a little better. The egg with the bigger hole previously wasn't moving all the much yesterday and this morning, and all of a sudden its egg is rocking so much it's having a little party in there it looks like haha. But the one that I only put a smaller hole in was active a lot yesterday and I haven't seen its egg rocking today. Just hoping maybe it's resting. Fingers crossed these little guys make it after my screw up.
The issue you may have is with the big hole he may not have something to push against to break out. Just watch for progress 24+ hrs after external pip.

Back
Top Bottom