Day 23 Internal Pip

Pics

SammyKay

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
So my remaining 2 eggs were internally pipped yesterday and I waited 24 hours, but they seemed to have made no progress. I also previously had not seen the eggs move which concerned me. I candled them just to see if they were still moving and thankfully both were. I took a sterilized needle (because it was the only sharper object I could find) and carefully poked a little safety hole in the air cell so that hopefully they could get a little bit of air. I set up a camera and I've started to see them shake periodically! I'm keeping the humidity consistently between 60% and 70%.

I am slightly concerned about a few things, like whether or not I made a safety hole too soon, if keeping the lid off the incubator to create it would have any negative impact, and even if a needle-sized hole was too small. Should I wait another 24 hours and if they still have not breached the external shell help them a little? It feels like I'm in the home stretch and yet I feel like so many things could go wrong to take these little babies chances away.

With my eggs
I will make a safety hole no bigger then the pin of the tac after 24 hours of internal pip
Then I wait another 24 hours before making it bigger to see what’s going on
Often I can candle above the air cell into the egg and see if the veins have gone away
If there is still good sized veins I wait longer
If all veins look gone I will make the zip and pull the cap back a bit so baby can finish the hatch
Are you certain you saw beaks in the air cell or just baby pushing against the membrane ?
We want to be certain if was beaks so we aren’t breaking them out to fast
With the pin size hole they can get air but they won’t loose the moisture needed to hatch
I have not had one shrink wrap by making the hole
I move quickly and usually leave the bator closed just bringing the egg out
But I have had an egg have an external pip that I didn’t know about
Pulled all the eggs out , removed the turner and started to place the eggs back in
Felt the external pip on one
They had been out for over 5 mins by then
Baby was fine and hatched on his own

With my eggs
I will make a safety hole no bigger then the pin of the tac after 24 hours of internal pip
Then I wait another 24 hours before making it bigger to see what’s going on
Often I can candle above the air cell into the egg and see if the veins have gone away
If there is still good sized veins I wait longer
If all veins look gone I will make the zip and pull the cap back a bit so baby can finish the hatch
Are you certain you saw beaks in the air cell or just baby pushing against the membrane ?
We want to be certain if was beaks so we aren’t breaking them out to fast
With the pin size hole they can get air but they won’t loose the moisture needed to hatch
I have not had one shrink wrap by making the hole
I move quickly and usually leave the bator closed just bringing the egg out
But I have had an egg have an external pip that I didn’t know about
Pulled all the eggs out , removed the turner and started to place the eggs back in
Felt the external pip on one
They had been out for over 5 mins by then
Baby was fine and hatched on his own
I definitely saw their beaks. A little triangle shadow trying to peck. But they aren't quite close to the shell wall. I'm not sure if maybe they're stuck in the membrane? If it has been 24 more hours and I start to open their shell more what should I do to keep them from getting shrink wrapped? Would spraying them help as I'm working on their shell?

I definitely saw their beaks. A little triangle shadow trying to peck. But they aren't quite close to the shell wall. I'm not sure if maybe they're stuck in the membrane? If it has been 24 more hours and I start to open their shell more what should I do to keep them from getting shrink wrapped? Would spraying them help as I'm working on their shell?
I use a Q tip and coconut oil
Or Vaseline
But I would candle and look for veins
As the baby absorbs it also moves down into position
This leaves an opening where you can see in the egg
Normally we candle through the air cell but this time you will put the light on the side of the egg above the air cell to see in
I have been able to tell if they are ready by doing this
We want them to absorb and they don’t need a big hole to do so
They only give themselves a crack till it’s time to zip
I have done it both ways
1- assist slowly opening the egg every few hours more and more watching for blood veins
2- smsll pin hole and waiting till I see the veins have gone then making ybf zip
I like 2 much better
I don’t hit veins
Baby doesn’t need membranes wet every few hours
The risk is much less this way

I use a Q tip and coconut oil
Or Vaseline
But I would candle and look for veins
As the baby absorbs it also moves down into position
This leaves an opening where you can see in the egg
Normally we candle through the air cell but this time you will put the light on the side of the egg above the air cell to see in
I have been able to tell if they are ready by doing this
We want them to absorb and they don’t need a big hole to do so
They only give themselves a crack till it’s time to zip
I have done it both ways
1- assist slowly opening the egg every few hours more and more watching for blood veins
2- smsll pin hole and waiting till I see the veins have gone then making ybf zip
I like 2 much better
I don’t hit veins
Baby doesn’t need membranes wet every few hours
The risk is much less this way
Have I just made a huge mistake? its been 24 hours since I had added the little hole with the needle and there was still no progress being made, it looked like the eggs even stopped moving too so I took a tack and made a bigger hole to see and it looks like they hadn't even internally pipped at all?? it was just a white membrane. Now im really concerned I might have just jeopardized their hatching process. I didn't touch the membrane at all but what should I do now?? 20240130_173208.jpg
The hole I made on the first one was too big I think 😰

Last edited:
Have I just made a huge mistake? its been 24 hours since I had added the little hole with the needle and there was still no progress being made, it looked like the eggs even stopped moving too so I took a tack and made a bigger hole to see and it looks like they hadn't even internally pipped at all?? it was just a white membrane. Now im really concerned I might have just jeopardized their hatching process. I didn't touch the membrane at all but what should I do now??View attachment 3737212
The hole I made on the first one was too big I think 😰
Can you cover it with kitchen wrap
Not right around the egg just a piece on top of the holes
This will stop air getting into that area
Then leave the eggs be
Once you see baby has internal pip you can remove the plastic but be patient as baby will still take 48-72 hours to be ready to hatch after

These are duck eggs I assume. Nature knows best I would leave them alone and let them do their thing. Not sure why you would start opining such a big hole its only day 24 isn't it. The more you keep opening the incubator fooling with eggs losing all your humidity the more chance you have of losing others.

Can you cover it with kitchen wrap
Not right around the egg just a piece on top of the holes
This will stop air getting into that area
Then leave the eggs be
Once you see baby has internal pip you can remove the plastic but be patient as baby will still take 48-72 hours to be ready to hatch after
I covered the hole and that egg is moving a lot. I really regret trying to mess with them so soon. Should have just waited a few more days

Back
Top Bottom