New girls in my first Brooder

Ankhdad

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Thunder Bay, ON
Been doing my homework on the many different designs for brooders on BYC.
Finally came up with one that wasn't too expensive and was very easy to do.
Got the girls this afternoon, and so far, they are loving it...and so are the kids.

Bought a large storage tote from Walmat and some 1/2 inch hardware mesh from Home depot. Cut out a couple vents and a 'sunroof' for the light. $35 at the end of the day, not too bad.

Now the fun part...start designing my 10x12 coop! Will keep you posted.

Keith

I'm using a 90 watt floodlight. I noticed before that it puts out a lot of heat, so I thought I'd try it. So far, temp is staying at 32 C. The girls arewandering all over and not huddling right under the light.
I can move the light up and down if needed.

Looks good, I bet you kids are thrillled!! You can use a lower wattage bulb too if needed too.

They'll be outgrowing that bin in a couple of weeks......do you have a larger space for them to move into?

Actually, we are moving to the country this Friday. I've started some simple designs for a 10x12 shed/coop. I'll be posting some pics once I break ground in a couple weeks.

Looks good, I bet you kids are thrillled!!  You can use a lower wattage bulb too if needed too.

They'll be outgrowing that bin in a couple of weeks......do you have a larger space for them to move into?

So I'm getting a better idea of what you ment here...they've almost doubled in size! And..their feathers are coming in fast, plus during the move with the doors open in the garage, they got a taste for mosquitos. Now they go nuts if anything fly's near them. I best get me butt in gear on that coop!
1f600.png

MINI UPDATE...
I was working in the garage, where the 'kids' are right now, and I kept hearing them tapping on the tote trying to eat the bugs that fly around. Every few mins I would hear a dull thud. When I went to check on them, a couple of the more excitable ones where jumping up after the bugs and hitting their heads on the lid....so...
I picked up a watermelon container at the local grocery store, tossed in a couple bags of pine shavings and Presto...new home with room to move! They are all loving it, big kids too! lol
*edit...I've since trained them to nipples on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and food is in a couple pvc feeders which I got plans from bryoria here on BYC.
Big coop breaks ground on Friday, hope to have it finish by weeks end.

Back
Top Bottom