Quail questions.

bkquail

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 24, 2014
California
Hello, I am knew to quail (and this fourm) and have a few questions. I have read that coturnix are an all around good breed but which type of quail is the best for eggs, which is the best for meat,and which is the best as a pet. I would also like to know what the laws in california are for owning quail as pets and for selling (I called the local fish and game and they didnt know jack on quail). Also where is a good place to buy quail no one in my town sales them as far as i can see and when buying them online which it better to buy the egg,the chick, or the adult. Thanks in advanced

Hello, I am knew to quail (and this fourm) and have a few questions. I have read that coturnix are an all around good breed but which type of quail is the best for eggs, which is the best for meat,and which is the best as a pet. I would also like to know what the laws in california are for owning quail as pets and for selling (I called the local fish and game and they didnt know jack on quail). Also where is a good place to buy quail no one in my town sales them as far as i can see and when buying them online which it better to buy the egg,the chick, or the adult. Thanks in advanced
For the beginner the coturnix is the best choice for eggs, meat, and as a pet. They have been bred in captivity for over a thousand years and are really the only quail that fits all of your desires. Bobwhites are probably the best quail in flavor where meat is concerned since they are a white meat breast. Coturnix are an all dark meat bird but can be raised for meat in less than half of the time that it takes to grow out bobwhites. Bobwhites aren't ready to process until 16-20 weeks coturnix are ready to process at 6-8 weeks. Coturnix are the only quail that lay an edible size egg every day. All other types of quail aside from buttons will only during their breeding season. Usually may to august. In california there are no restrictions on raising coturnix or button quail. All other types of quail require a game bird propagation permit from the DFG. Where are you located in California, I can probably direct you to eggs or birds.

Thanks for the response. I thought Texas A&M were white meat too? and i live up north in California kinda near crescent city

The myth of white meat A&Ms grew faster than peoples actual knowledge of the birds. After their development, scientists at Texas A&M, mentioned that the birds were characterized by a lighter flesh color that is nearly white. Flesh, not meat. They are dark meat birds like all coturnix. To date I've only eaten a few hundred so maybe I'm not fit to judge though
lau.gif

DC is definitely right, Coturnix are the best for everything you are looking for, and they are the easiest to raise/breed/hatch Bobwhites, while great for meat, are more challenging to raise and require alot more room than a coturnix to be happy. Any other breed besides Coturnix and bobwhite arent worth butchering, and besides button quail, which lay tiny eggs, no other quail lays nearly as much eggs as a coturnix. And on top of that, Coturnix mutations and color varieties can be very fun to play with and see what you get.

Back
Top Bottom