Curse you chicken math!

RichnSteph

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Adkins Texas
All we wanted was one BO Rooster and a couple of RIR or BO hens for eggs and cuteness. But oh no that just can't work at all for us! 1 BO rooster, 2 RIR, 2 RIR/Leghorn crosses, 2 Black Australorps and we're done... no wait? What's that? There are Gold and Silver Laced Wyandottes for sale nearby and he also has some beautiful BO hens? Well why not, lets just add a few more of each to our existing flock. *laugh* It's a darn disease!

RichnSteph

YES! I'm trying to get my flock down to 35 birds by Thanksgiving. Build big and enjoy; there are so many interesting breeds out there. Mary
Down to 35? Goodness Mary how many do you have? *laugh* I'm hoping that we add no more for a few years or I'm going to have to add some more nesting boxes and a bigger run.

RichnSteph

Mrs. K you are not helping.
big_smile.png

we were suppose to only have 7 hens and 1 rooster... now we have 20 hens and 4 roosters all under a year (3 are 7 months and the rest are 14 weeks ) . who would have guessed I would be addicted to chickens

I started with just wanting 3-4. We had 3 silkies, a trio and I was content. Then one of our silkies passed... winter is coming up so I needed at least one more warm body, we wound up with a hamburg and while at the auction I saw sebrights! They are lovely gotta have at least one of them... but no one is selling just the hen so I order from Ideal who has a $25 minimum and get 8 chicks, they ship and include 11 packing peanuts. I had to place 2 Ideal orders though, they cancelled my first one and in that time I found a woman 30 minutes away selling "silkie chicks", I picked up 4.

Luckily for me it truly is chicken MATH. I add and subtract. The silkies turned out to be mixes, well 3/4 did and the true silkie was either too old or too young to mix with my other chickens so I sold her with her mates. The 11 packing peanuts were all BSL males so they went ASAP. Then there was a rather roo ish looking bantam surprise that also went because I have one roo that I'm trying to devise a collar for, I don't need more noise!

So If you want to do the math with me it went like this 5 (Originals, 3/5 were cocks) -2 (rehomed 2/3 of the males, the other one waited to crow LOL) -1 (one of our silkies passed) +1 (added the hamburg) + 4 (silkie mix chicks) + 19 (Ideal order including packing peanuts) - 11 (sold packing peanuts) -5 (sold silkie mixs and a chick) = 10

I'm still at over double the number I planned in the beginning but once we start being able to sex the chicks more of them will go. I do still want to add at least one more silkie in, possibly two. I really want a splash silkie which means either getting a blue and waiting for chicks or just getting a splash!

I have to say though. The 16 I sold were all to the same chick so I'm contributing to someone's out of control chicken math =)

*gasp* You're an enabler!
wink.png
Yeah and it sounds like its to not one but TWO chicken addicts LOL, when she comes or I let her know I have something to get rid of it is always "my husband will want those"! She lives like over 30 minutes away too... dare I tell her there is a place every weekend in her town to get chickens?

Back
Top Bottom