Breeders of ANYTHING chicken in upstate, NY?!?

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I am having the toughest time sourcing breeders here in upstate, NY within a 2-3 hour drive of Albany, NY! Seems like everyone I talk to around here does TSC or mail order.
I'm fine with mail order for some, but I'd really like some breeder-quality chicks of primarily egg-laying breeds. Western Mass or Southern, VT might work, too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a bunch!!

Hi there! We've met in the NY thread :) What are you looking for? I have buff orps - just utility quality, not for showing, and in the spring I will have crested cream legbars, silkies, and NN bantams (although the last two aren't really egg layers). Also have general mix breed egg layers and will have saphires in the spring - a CCL/Leghorn cross that produces birds that lay tons of blue eggs.

Thanks!! Those sapphires sound really cool--I know somehow Leghorns get a bad rap, but so far, ours have been fine! They're not exactly cuddly and they are FAST, but they are faithful layers, great at foraging/scratching, and I find them to be pretty to look at as well!
Where are you exactly? And what would be the cost of these sapphire chicks?

I kind of have two goals in mind--prolific layers in mainly brown/white (and some colors--though, I noticed those eggs tend to be smaller--the Golden Comets and Leghorns lay perfect size eggs for the "Large" cartons) for our front-yard farm stand and word-of-mouth local sales AND also a few breeder/show-quality birds just for fun :)

REALLY enjoying this chicken-raising experience! Has been super fun!

I'm about 8 miles south of Albany.

Sarah

Sapphires lay a nice large blue egg, since their parents are leghorns and CCLs, which were created from leghorns. $2 a chick or $1 an egg if you want to hatch them yourself would be fine :) I'm going to be breeding the CCLs to the proposed SOP but they aren't accepted yet so you can show them, but they can't take champion of the show. My silkies are breeder/show quality and can be shown, plus they are fantastic broodies if that's something you want in the future. I'm over near Fair Haven VT just over the border into NY, but I'm in Glens Falls all the time so meeting wouldn't be a problem.

I would definitely love some! Not prepared to hatch yet, but am planning on brooding a bunch of chicks this spring. I'll PM you. Thanks!
Sarah

Hi I post and was curious if you found anythi g local. I am in albany area as well and am looki g for guinea hens, silkies cochins and orpingtons.

I am having the toughest time sourcing breeders here in upstate, NY within a 2-3 hour drive of Albany, NY! Seems like everyone I talk to around here does TSC or mail order.
I'm fine with mail order for some, but I'd really like some breeder-quality chicks of primarily egg-laying breeds. Western Mass or Southern, VT might work, too.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a bunch!!
I'm about 4 hours North of you and having the same issue! The sites that I've seen have shipping pricing that will scare your pants off!! I'm looking for buff orphington & speckled Sussex but don't want 20+ chickens at once. We are in the process of purchasing a new house, once that's all settled, we will increase our flock substantially but for jow, I just want to be more choosey in my hen selection. Hope we can find someone to help

Hi there! We've met in the NY thread :) What are you looking for? I have buff orps - just utility quality, not for showing, and in the spring I will have crested cream legbars, silkies, and NN bantams (although the last two aren't really egg layers). Also have general mix breed egg layers and will have saphires in the spring - a CCL/Leghorn cross that produces birds that lay tons of blue eggs.
Hi there! I'm not looking to show any birds, just want a few good egg layers that would possibly increase the flock on their own without having to buy new babies. I want friendly and cold harfy birds, who take confinement or can forage. From my research these are the ones for me. Where are you located?

Hi there! I'm not looking to show any birds, just want a few good egg layers that would possibly increase the flock on their own without having to buy new babies. I want friendly and cold harfy birds, who take confinement or can forage. From my research these are the ones for me. Where are you located?

Sorry, that post was four years ago. I raise ayam cemanis, brahmas, and ko shamos now, and don't currently have anything available.

I've also moved across the border into Vermont.

Back
Top Bottom