Adding on an isolation coop

kayachicken

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
South-Western France
Hello! Chicken math has struck and now I have a week to add on an isolation pen to our chicken coop. I can't build on inside as even though they are free range the coop is too small to take away space if I have to keep them inside for some reason. I'm going to use wood and some chicken wire we already have (our only predators are foxes, so the actual coop/nesting box will be off the ground). This is an image I found online of our chicken coop now:

I was thinking of cutting a rectangle in the wire at the back (and then framing off the whole on both sides so it's safe and eye-pleasing) and then attaching the frame of the isolation coop to the beams along the bottom. It'll be about as big as the area of the two big wire panels on the front, and I'm going to surround the frame in chicken wire. It'll be about as high as half the height of the large coop. The actual coop/nesting area will be a wooden crate mounted on stilts that I'm going to chicken-fy and add nesting boxes and a roost to and put it inside the pen. My big problem would be; how do I construct the roof and what can I make it out of? I can see what materials we have lying around (we've just done a massive house renovation so we have a lot of anything lol) I could even use roof tiles.

So, thanks! (We currently have four laying hyrbids, gorgeous ladies in different orange and red hues, and now we're upgrading to two more pekin bantam hens (who come with a rooster but who will be shortly rehomed) for all you chicken lovers... which should be everyone, because it's BYC!

Oh, and while I'm here, how long should I 'isolate' my hens for? they will be free range like our others and I want them to be comfortable with the others.

Thanks!

Welcome! If you are getting birds from a different source than your original hens, Isolation means TOTAL physical separation from the coop, as in far enough downwind that nothing can contaminate your flock. Maybe your garage? At least three to four weeks apart, and then introduce one of your birds to the new ones for another couple of weeks, and see if any disease problems develop. Hospital quality isolation and separation is what I mean here. You could use a big dog crate for the new hens. They must be really cute! Mary

goodpost.gif

Ah okay thanks :) They are from the same breeder, but she would only sell them as a trio because it's obviously not her peek breeding system. Would they still need to be isolated, or can I just make my introduction coop like I'd planned? (I see that I mislabelled it as an isolation coop lol.) I didn't consider diseases and now I feel bad that I didn't. Any other advice about introducing/separating chickens?

Oh, and parents want to rehome the rooster (we already have several people looking to fill their fields lined up) because they say it wastes space but I'm adamant it will protect the hens. I'm hoping that when his lordship arrives we can just keep putting it off until he's here to stay. Any other talking points I should consider in the rooster argument? (Oh, and what can I do about the coop? Lol)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Glad to hear it; hopefully diseases won't be an issue then. How about that big dog crate in the run as separation for a few days, and then if you free range, let them out together. Or let the new birds out into the run to get comfortable in it without the resident birds, and open things up at night for them. Your coop addition is great, except don't ever use chicken wire; only hardware cloth. Predators get right through chicken wire! I do love having roosters! They make the flock complete, IMO. Only polite roosters, though; be ready to NOT keep a problem boy, no matter how handsome he might be. Mary

Lol They don't have a run as they're free range so I'm going to put the dog crate (sheltered) in a makeshift hardware cloth run, for a few days (weeks...?) and the other hens can get to know them. Just learnt that the roo is a chocolate mottled frizzle so I'm going to convince them that we can keep him and sell the chicks. Pekins are apparently very in demand here LOL.
Thanks for the advice I will keep you posted on how they are when we get them on Saturday. So excited!

clap.gif
woot.gif

Last edited:
Haha yep I've done my research. It doesn't get too cold (no snow) here in the winter and he'll have the others to cuddle up to, and in the summer we have plenty of shade and it's never boiling so we're in a lucky climate for frizzles and heavily-feathered birds. The breeder sent me a pic of the roo today
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom