Recreate the Producer's Price coop roof?

I'm not opposed to metal roof, but I don't have a way to cut it. And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
Not irrational at all.
It's totally likely in my opinion.

I hung wind chimes and planters on the corners of mine to force a step away from those corners.

I'm not opposed to metal roof, but I don't have a way to cut it. And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
I've cut the tin metal roofing sheets with tin snips, yes it leaves sharp edges.

I think the poly carbonate roofs (see link below) cut with a table saw, circular saw, etc but probably a right and very wrong way to do it.

For all of them, use the recommended washer/foam type screws, and technique as to what part of the valey of the material, and how tight will matter greatly. And they usually require some underlayment either purlins/supports (a frame type structure), with or without plywood as a support.

(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntop-...te-Roof-Panel-in-Castle-Gray-108975/100037754)

I had some low hanging roof pieces that I was afraid the kids would get hurt on by cutting a corner too closely. So I built "Chicken Coop Bumpers" out of a steel T-post, swim noodle and PVC pipe:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/great-idea-ruined-by-vast-pvc-conspiracy.1476489/
So, I had a great idea to improve safety near some low hanging roof pieces. I don't want kids running past and catching the edge of the steel roof, or tripping over the ground anchor.

I added a steel t-post (free - on hand) and wrapped it with a swim noodle ($0.79).

View attachment 2723895

Then, I slipped 4" PVC pipe (free from neighbor) over that.

View attachment 2723896

Home Depot had a 4" drain cap for $2.46. Perfect, yes?

No.
View attachment 2723897

Apparently, 4" caps do not fit 4" pipes. So much for my $4 solution.

And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.
Legit fear, I recently jammed my knee into my metal roofed brooder and gave myself a 1" long scar.
I think the poly carbonate roofs (see link below) cut with a table saw, circular saw, etc but probably a right and very wrong way to do it.
Polycarbonate panels can be cut with heavy duty scissors (I used tin snips). Won't be as nice and even looking but if absence of tools is an issue, it will do the trick.

I had some low hanging roof pieces that I was afraid the kids would get hurt on by cutting a corner too closely. So I built "Chicken Coop Bumpers" out of a steel T-post, swim noodle and PVC pipe:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/great-idea-ruined-by-vast-pvc-conspiracy.1476489/
It is a clever solution. I especially like the last suggestion of hanging gutters on the edges as bumpers/rain collection. Although, after thinking about what I would need to make the roof decapitation-proof, it seems like a regular wood+shingle roof would be the least amount of work. Same with the polycarbonate panels -- sounds simple, but then factor in purlins, closure strips, crack-proof screws, and it becomes a big project.

If you don’t mind having to do some maintenance periodically you can paint plywood with roofing paint. You’ll need to repaint and/or replace the plywood once in a while depending on your weather.

It was a nice solution for my broody hen coops, the paint I chose is white so it helps the little coops cool.
Now we're talking! By "roofing paint", do you mean something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-5...tive-Roof-Coating-0-90-gal-HE587146/202091035
It would be brilliant if this is all I need. Didn't even realize such a product existed until I searched for "roofing paint".
The weather here is hot and dry, think California desert. A few times per year we get some heavy rain. This would be perfect.

It is a clever solution. I especially like the last suggestion of hanging gutters on the edges as bumpers/rain collection. Although, after thinking about what I would need to make the roof decapitation-proof, it seems like a regular wood+shingle roof would be the least amount of work. Same with the polycarbonate panels -- sounds simple, but then factor in purlins, closure strips, crack-proof screws, and it becomes a big project.

Now we're talking! By "roofing paint", do you mean something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-5...tive-Roof-Coating-0-90-gal-HE587146/202091035
It would be brilliant if this is all I need. Didn't even realize such a product existed until I searched for "roofing paint".
The weather here is hot and dry, think California desert. A few times per year we get some heavy rain. This would be perfect.
I've used that on sheets of plywood both flat and sloped like a roof should be, it worked fine.

Yes, that’s the stuff. It seems thinner than you’d expect but a few coats have worked pretty well. We get a lot of rain and so far the panels I painted in the fall are still waterproof.

Back
Top Bottom