shipped eggs question

dstinett

Songster
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Jefferson, TX
My shipped eggs arrived. All intact with 2 extra. All air cells were jiggily and odd shaped. After 24 hour rest, no improvement. Can eggs still develop?

Mine were the same way, still jiggly after resting for 24 hours. When I put them in the incubator, I set them in a cut down egg carton (fat end up) with holes cut in the bottom for air flow and I didn't turn them for the first 4 days. When I checked the air cells again, most of them had reattached. When I candled them on day 7, they were all attached again (though a couple were/are saddle shaped).

Good luck!

All you can do is try, but just be prepared in case they don't hatch.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with shipped eggs. My last batch of shipped eggs I got were exactly like yours with jiggly, deformed air cells. I was very disappointed, but tried all I could to help them. I let them rest for 24 hours before putting them into the incubator, put them in cut-down egg cartons, and didn't turn them for the first few days of incubation. That may have helped a little with stabilizing the air cells, but I still only had one egg out of 14 hatch, and she had to be assisted out because she was upside down (started hatching from the small end of the egg and then got stuck).

That said, some people still somehow have good luck with shipped eggs, so I wish you luck with your batch! :)

I was told to let the eggs rest for 12 hours with my shipped eggs. Should I have let them sit for 24 hours? This is not good....They are in the incubator and in the egg turner. It has been 3 days, should I check them?

TamiHunter: Were your air cells loose or jiggly before incubating? If not, then no worries! Letting them rest longer before incubating and then not turning for the first few days is just to help those with air cell problems to restabilize. If the air cells looked ok before incubating, then resting 12 hours is probably sufficient.

dstinett: Yeah, I would turn the turner off so they can have time to reattach. If they are continually turning and shifting in there, the air cells won't have a chance to stabilize. This is just from all the advice I have gotten and read about bad air cells. It's also really important for eggs to be turned the first week of incubation, so it's kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. So hard to know the right thing to do sometimes. :/

TamiHunter: Were your air cells loose or jiggly before incubating? If not, then no worries! Letting them rest longer before incubating and then not turning for the first few days is just to help those with air cell problems to restabilize. If the air cells looked ok before incubating, then resting 12 hours is probably sufficient.

dstinett: Yeah, I would turn the turner off so they can have time to reattach. If they are continually turning and shifting in there, the air cells won't have a chance to stabilize. This is just from all the advice I have gotten and read about bad air cells. It's also really important for eggs to be turned the first week of incubation, so it's kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. So hard to know the right thing to do sometimes. :/

A couple of them were iffy..I will candle them tonight and see what's going on. If I get no fuzzy butts outta this I will at least have come out with more knowledge on incubating shipped eggs. :)

A couple of them were iffy..I will candle them tonight and see what's going on. If I get no fuzzy butts outta this I will at least have come out with more knowledge on incubating shipped eggs. :)
My thoughts exactly. I knew the risks but I would not rest til I tried

Good luck to both of you! I have sworn off shipped eggs. Too much heartache for me. At least now I have a breeding pair so I can hopefully hatch my own eggs in the spring. :)

Back
Top Bottom