will buzzards kill call ducks?

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
I have two call ducks that are In an uncovered run and we have several buzzards here and I am worried they will take them. They haven't taken my bantam chickens but they are in with standards. Do ducks run for cover like chickens? Thank you in advance

That may be a concern. Most often buzzards go for carrion but it is not unheard of for them to go after something alive.

I have read reports here about hawks taking Runner ducks. I think calls are small enough I would want some kind of netting overhead.

My area is pretty big 9x35m, I can't afford a net that size but I have loads of bailer twine do you think I could make some sort of lattice over the pen? How big should the gaps be?

Ok hopefully she'll chime in. Thansk
I think baler twine would work real good just make it so nothing larger than say a song bird can get through. some even hang old CD's off of it . I bought predator tape it is very shiny and crackles when the wind hits it and the light bounces off of it. My area is half and acre so I hung streamers from tree limbs and around the house we went from tree to tree and hung a few that way. But I think for an enclosed run your idea might be better. Just make one run going length wise then another run going the other direction so it's like a basket weave.

Last edited:
I think baler twine would work real good just make it so nothing larger than say a song bird can get through. some even hang old CD's off of it . I bought predator tape it is very shiny and crackles when the wind hits it and the light bounces off of it. My area is half and acre so I hung streamers from tree limbs and around the house we went from tree to tree and hung a few that way. But I think for an enclosed run your idea might be better. Just make one run going length wise then another run going the other direction so it's like a basket weave.
how big is a songbird? Do you to know holes about 1m2 would be fine? If not this is going to take along time because my area is 9m x 35m. My ducks wings are clipped so we don't have to worry about them getting out. Thanks

The are VERY unlikely to catch the call ducks.... Buzzards are weak talons.. not designed for killing live animals... They feed on dead animals, insects and worms mostly... and a few small rodents.

They may be able to catch any young ducklings you have in the future.

But you need to cover the run.. or provide some protection.. as if there are buzzards in your area you are going to get other birds of prey. Evan mammal predators may climb up the fence and into the pen to get you ducks.

I am in the UK so buzzards are all we get. The only other predator we get are foxes and they can only climb a rigid fence so if you keep you fences loose they can't climb up. I have started covering with Baler twine so may as well finish.

I am in the UK so buzzards are all we get. The only other predator we get are foxes and they can only climb a rigid fence so if you keep you fences loose they can't climb up. I have started covering with Baler twine so may as well finish.
Post pics once finished so others can see because this is an ongoing situation when we have poultry how to keep them safe.
how big is a songbird? Do you to know holes about 1m2 would be fine? If not this is going to take along time because my area is 9m x 35m. My ducks wings are clipped so we don't have to worry about them getting out. Thanks
song bird like a blue bird or cardinal just make the twine close enough a large buzzard couldn't get through. They have a very large wing span but you want it so their body can't get through the baling twine. Sorry I don't do m's

Back
Top Bottom