will buzzards kill call ducks?

No problem! I just wanted to make sure you knew that you do have dangerous predators that your birds need protection from. There was just a communication error going on with others who thought you were talking about vultures, which I would not be at all concerned about taking your ducks. ;) Common and honey buzzards are a concern, though. We have them here as well.

I think you're off to a great start! I agree that you need more twine and hanging the CD's (or other shiny objects) will help alot in keeping the buzzards at bay as well. It's not easy keeping such a large area secure, that's for sure! My ducks are in a much smaller pen than yours with chicken wire on top to keep them safe from aerial predators when I'm not around (and hot wire for the foxes, etc). That was a much easier solution. ;)

Do you know how small the gaps should be?

I would assume slightly smaller than the predator's wingspan? I'm no expert, though. I've only ever used this twine method to keep wild Cranes from landing at one of the facilities I worked at awhile back.

so I've done some more twining today it now has long strips 1ft apart do you think I need to go the other way to make little squares?

Thanks

Last edited:
The European buzzard is a bird prey much like our broad wing hawks. I would be very concerned that they might give your calls a try. Miss Lydia's shiny 'predator tape' sounds like a good idea. Her post created a mental image of her 'sparkling and crackling' back yard.
lol.png

Initially you might want to only free range your calls while you can monitor the situation until they get 'the lay of the land'.

The European buzzard is a bird prey much like our broad wing hawks.  I would be very concerned that they might give your calls a try.  Miss Lydia's shiny 'predator tape' sounds like a good idea.  Her post created a mental image of her 'sparkling and crackling' back yard.  :lol:

Initially you might want to only free range your calls while you can monitor the situation until they get 'the lay of the land'.

I am not planning on free ranging them but they just have a very large pen. Do you think what I have do so far is good? What about the spacing between the bailer twine?
Thanks

For something as large as 'your' buzzard, the spacing may be tight enough. Here we have to deal with Goshawks and Cooper's hawks that would not be deterred unless the spacing was much tighter.

For something as large as 'your' buzzard, the spacing may be tight enough.  Here we have to deal with Goshawks and Cooper's hawks that would not be deterred unless the spacing was much tighter.

I can maybe do a few where the posts are so they can't just drop down from the post into the run? Thanks for all your help

The European buzzard is a bird prey much like our broad wing hawks. I would be very concerned that they might give your calls a try. Miss Lydia's shiny 'predator tape' sounds like a good idea. Her post created a mental image of her 'sparkling and crackling' back yard.
lol.png

sourland it looks like we're having a party with all the sparkling and crackling going on, Now I need to replace some of it the weather takes a toll on it but I bought extra so I can. So far we're had hawks fly over but none have been as bold as the Red tail that came in year before last and killed my bantam hen. So hopefully the tape is helping.

That's a great idea because they will use those posts to land on. I'd dif try to find some outdated shiny cd's to hang down from the lines.

I could also put the cd's on top of the posts and attach them so hopefully they will be to scared to land. What do you think about the spacing?

Back
Top Bottom