question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I found a electric heating pad for people for 13 doallars, I was wondering if I could put it in a plastic bin for my chicks that should be coming any day now,I'll line the bottom with pine shavings then place the heating pad and then add more shaving on top, or is it a fire hazard still? Im trying to stay away from heat lamps because I hheard many stories were heat lamps woup fall and cause a fire

A heat pad is not a good option. If you want to avoid the heat light (secured properly the risk of falling in and causing a fire is addressed) you might want to consider a "broooder plate" - such as this:

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I wouldn't recommend using a heating pad because it is a possible fire hazard. I would avoid using any electrical device that has a standard household gauge electrical cord that is accessible to being pecked by your birds. I would either use a commercial brooder or a homemade brooder with a commercial brooder lamp in which the cord is strung up vertically out of the chicks reach. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Ol Grey Mare.

But if your heat lamp is elevated properly and not touching anything, it shouldn't cause a fire.

Make sure the heat lamp is securely fastened in at least two ways, so that it won't drop unto chicks/bedding. You will also want a bulb guard around it so chicks don't get burned accidently when they start flying .

You got some good advice from the other members. I would look into using the heating plate that ol grey mare mentioned. I use a heating lamp myself, but I don't like to trust the clamp, it always seems to slip. I prefer to use a chain to keep it secured.

We use a hanging heat lamp rather than a clamp on one. I think it cost about $13 without the heat bulb. The clamp on ones are just not safe, IMO. I used to use one and one day found it had slipped or somehow been moved. Luckily, it didn't cause a fire, but it very very easily could have.

Not only would the heat pad be a fire hazard, it will covered in chick poo in no time, even with pine shavings. Also, in nature, they get the warmth against their backs, like a mother hen might.

If you're trying to keep costs down and want to avoid the light of a heat bulb, check out the ceramic heat emitters used in reptile aquariums, they emit no light at all, but plenty of heat.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Actually.... several people have successfully, and safely, used a people heating pads as a chick warmers.
It does take careful setup and close attention to the details of the specific heating pad used.

Here's a thread about mine and some others are linked in there as well:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862691/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

Thanks for posting that. I do remember seeing your thread about it from last spring. Your setup looks much safer than burying it in pine shavings. This will go on my project list :)

Back
Top Bottom