Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cheepcheep riri

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Bandera,TX
We just got 6 chicks from TSC last night and am so excited we have a couple already and 25 other breeds, anyone else getting these cute balls of fluff
celebrate.gif

Yes!! We had a RIR 3 years ago that was really mean....bute we have 9 now that are so sweet. It just depends on how they were treated as chicks I guess.

I received a batch of RIR's 5 weeks ago and they are pretty much docile. At 3 weeks, they began the pecking order and were very loud through the night hours until I decided on giving them one of those "baby cakes" from feed store. Only left it in for an hour and then pulled it out. They were calm the rest of night. Now at 5 weeks, I place them on good days here in high desert to romp in run. There are moments when two or three will charge each other and chest butt with feet, but then they routinely start dusting or napping in groups. I probably spend more time with them than expected, but they respond to my voice and love to be pet or peck at my shirt sleeve or shoe laces. I have provided diversion when they are inside with hanging bells and beads from craft store, as well as small mirrors along the pen wall. They love the mirrors and usually will sleep next to their reflection... I'm a newbie and this is my first time in raising chickens, so maybe have gone overboard with attention , but the result has paid off with calm girls and funny antics...

One of the problems with RIRs is that they can be aggressive with the chickens. I have 6 RIR chicks and just got 6 other breeds of chicks and they are doing reallly well even though they are 4 days older than them.

We also had a RIR Roo thatw as supposed to be a pullet. I had a thing for my little sister (who's 5) he would chase and chase her across the yard. Not anything else just her. Well he's been dead for about a year now.

Back
Top Bottom