My learning experience with Brooders and what makes raising chicks way easier!

Ariel188

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
Southern CA
36 BROODER PHOTOS! I am posting 3 different sets of brooders we had made. We are not handy so we had to pay to have each one built (but I painted them) it cost a small fortune! First one was built in 2013 it was 8 ft x 2.5 ft. (20 sq ft) I realized the footprint was HUGE and the different age chicks could not be separated so I sold it. Then in 2014 I had someone else build the other two. The small one is for in the house when they first hatch up until 3 weeks old. We call it CHICK TV! It is 4 ft x2 ft with wheels that lock, LED dimmer lights and roosting bar. The third one is the triple level brooder which is 6 ft x 2.5 ft each level (45 sq ft total), it also has wheels with locks. It is WAY more sq ft then the first brooder with way less footprint! WIN WIN! Both brooders include things that I found make chick raising SO much easier! Such as the chickenfountain nipples with bottles held up by bike water bottle holders, along with mirror, large eco glow heater instead of heat lamp, bucket of dirt and weeds for them to make their immune system strong, and custom made feeders I bought off BYC! I use doggie potty pads for the first 5 days then use the pellets for next 2 weeks, then pine shavings after that when they go into the triple stacked brooder in the garage. Just wanted to give some of you some ideas from what I learned along the way!

To see my girls go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-brooders-and-outside-in-coops#post_14860093

TO see outside coops go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/955387/my-coop-and-run-area-for-my-girls

Last edited:
wow these are awesome! each one different yet functional in it's one way. I love those coke bottle waterers, I have a few of those nipples on an older bucket, if I can get them out without breaking them, I'm putting some of those in my brooder!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful photos and designs. You've got me scratching my head about how I can talk hubby into letting me build yet an other brooder... without me getting kicked out to go sleep in the coop with the chickens! I think it's time for me to do some nipples, for sure!

Wow! Just WOW!!! Thank you for sharing this! It is a BEAUTIFUL setup. Now I just have to figure out how to keep my wife from seeing this!
hide.gif

Thank you all for your sweet kind words!! If you do get the nipples I HIGHLY recommend you get them from thechickenfountain.com. I think its $6 for 3 and they do not leak!!! I also have the one for outside so I NEVER have to charge water in the coops. It is hooked directly into the pipes and offers clean fresh cool water all the time. TOTALLY worth the investment and you can even hook it up to a garden hose!! :)

These are so incredible. I will be sharing your photos with the hubby as soon as he gets home!!!! Thanks for posting these! You've definitely got a lot of people excited for more projects and of course more chickens haha.

I remember seeing these before, I like all of them.
Understand the triple stack small footprint, but do you have any trouble integrating all the chicks later, or do you sell chicks or have multiple coops??

Those are fantastic brooder set-ups! I am totally jealous! I'd be in big trouble if I was handy at building that type of thing.

Your chicks are so pretty…what type of chicks are they?

Back
Top Bottom