question on the overnights

Atripp06120

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 21, 2015
Brunswick, Ohio
I have a weird question. We are building our coop this weekend and boy boyfriend thinks we should close the chickens into the coop all night even though they'll be completely fenced in. I don't think its necessary because the chickens will put themselves away. We are just worried about the coyotes because they come to the pond a lot. We always run them off but they're around. Any one with any suggestions? TIA

Even where I am in suburbia I have issues with leaving the pop door open. My biggest issue is the mice have found that they can come in after dark through that opening and chew the feathers off the sleeping hens.
Yes mine a closed in every night. I have had to go to more extreme lengths in trying to keep the mice out. I set traps but that does not get them all. I check every corner a mouse could be hiding in when I close the pop door in the evening. I try to chase them toward the traps but eventually give up and open the pop door so they can run out.
I am making some of the bucket traps this weekend since they make me insane.

Hi
I have some ducks and I put them in at night. But I am wondering how much space they need for the night (they are free range during the day) they are all small (8 call,3 East indians,3 kaiki Campbels.
Thanks

I am in the 'close them in' group. I know they'll 'put themselves to bed' everynight, but, if anything could get into the run at night, in through the pop door and feast away......

to second whomever it was who asked, 'is your run as secure as your coop' if you can answer that with a yes, then don't worry about it. If not, close the doors once they're all inside, and reopen in the morning

Back
Top Bottom