Bath?

depeelm

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
So this might be a silly question I don't know haha but I was curious if you could give chickens a bath? My girls love to play and they get pretty messy sometimes! These are my firs chickens and I just wasn't sure
1f602.png

I just use very diluted baby shampoo if I have to bathe a chicken. A dish tub of warm baby shampoo bubbles in water, and another clean dish tub of warm water.

I wouldn't, it could strip the weather proofing off their feathers......
.....but if you do, make sure you get them completely dry afterwards especially if you live where it's cold.
I've read that chickens love to be blow dried.

Last edited:
I used the blow dryer once...on one of the roosters. He got beat up pretty bad by one of the juveniles...so he got to come inside for some spa treatment while I washed him up and evaluated him for injuries.
I wouldn't have thought a skittish bird like a chicken would love a blow dryer so much
lau.gif

I've only done it once, but it wasn't too hard. Waited for a hot summer day. 5 gallon bucket (filled only to back-height) with warm water and a big squirt of baby shampoo. Dunk and lather.
Move to 5 gallon bucket filled with warm water and a splash of white vinegar. Dunk and massage until soap is gone.

Blow-dry or keep in a clean and warm area until dry. (If you let them loose when they are wet, they will likely B-Line to their favorite dust bath spot!)

I rubbed lanolin on their combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom