A natural repellent.? ♥️

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
Hello everyone
1f60a.png
I was wondering if anyone has a natural repellent idea for flies and ants.! I have many flies in the fun and ants, the ants aren't getting their food but they just bother me :(
I know DE works for ants but I can't use that because the sprinklers go on every night.
As for flies does vanilla car freshness work.?
Please anyone post what has worked for you.!
1f623.png
thank you.!
1f380.png

Hello everyone
1f60a.png
I was wondering if anyone has a natural repellent idea for flies and ants.! I have many flies in the fun and ants, the ants aren't getting their food but they just bother me
sad.png

I know DE works for ants but I can't use that because the sprinklers go on every night.
As for flies does vanilla car freshness work.?
Please anyone post what has worked for you.!
1f623.png
thank you.!
1f380.png

the only things I know to do for ants, you may be able to do in the coop. Ant's hate, will not cross dish soap. You can run a line all around edges of inside of coop. the chickens may taste it, won't like it, won't hurt them. PITA to do all the time though. The other thing to do is when you find an ant hill. Place uncooked grits around the entrance. they will take the grits in, eat them, then drink water. Grits swell up, ruining their stomachs. (kinda like giving alka seltzer to sea gulls). This is old school stuff, maybe someone knows a newer way.

the only things I know to do for ants, you may be able to do in the coop. Ant's hate, will not cross dish soap. You can run a line all around edges of inside of coop. the chickens may taste it, won't like it, won't hurt them. PITA to do all the time though. The other thing to do is when you find an ant hill. Place uncooked grits around the entrance. they will take the grits in, eat them, then drink water. Grits swell up, ruining their stomachs. (kinda like giving alka seltzer to sea gulls). This is old school stuff, maybe someone knows a newer way.

What exactly is grits.? Is that what it is called.? And thank you :)

What exactly is grits.? Is that what it is called.? And thank you
smile.png
lau.gif
Really? Sorry for laughing. Grits are sorta like cream of wheat. They're made from hominy and you cook them, add butter and salt. It's a southern breakfast staple, I grew up in FL, loving grits! You can find probably Quaker instant or 5 minute quick cook, next to the oatmeal at the grocery.
smile.png

P.S. don't cook the grits for the ants just put the dry granules on dry ground.

Last edited:
:lau Really? Sorry for laughing. Grits are sorta like cream of wheat. They're made from hominy and you cook them, add butter and salt. It's a southern breakfast staple, I grew up in FL, loving grits! You can find probably Quaker instant or 5 minute quick cook, next to the oatmeal at the grocery. :)  
P.S. don't cook the grits for the ants just put the dry granules on dry ground.

Lol,! I'm sorry maybe it's something you eat a lot in the south.? I grew up eating cereal for breakfast a lot :b
Okay I will look in the store when I go :) for grits haha.!

Lol,! I'm sorry maybe it's something you eat a lot in the south.? I grew up eating cereal for breakfast a lot :b
Okay I will look in the store when I go
smile.png
for grits haha.!

Yes, grits are a southern favorite. Eggs, bacon, toast, grits. If you decide to try the instant or quick cook, they don't do grits justice. Dixi grits for instance,or any good grits, take 20 minutes to cook.

You can also use corn starch for the same effect.
On a side note, this northern girl loves grits. We make it for breakfast all the time. With cheese and bacon in it and some runny eggs on top. Yum! Now I'm hungry!

Last edited:
You can also use corn starch for the same effect.
On a side note, this northern girl loves grits. We make it for breakfast all the time. With cheese and bacon in it and some runny eggs on top. Yum! Now I'm hungry!

Right on! Runny, sunny eggs, toast for dipping, grits w/cheese and bacon (I like mine floppy)= awesome!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom