Nesting box question!!

BethMatt

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
so I am about to open our nesting boxes for the first time. Our chickens have been in the coop for almost 3months & the oldest in the flock are about 16wks, the youngest being 10wks. They all use the roost all night for the most part. Now, my question is: When I open the boxes what is better straw or hay.. What kind of herbs can I put in that is safe & will keep them smelling good? I plan on putting in fake eggs & am anxious for our first egg!!!!

Straw is better if you have it because hay can mold in the right conditions, but it usually does not hurt to use hay. People put sage, lavender, mint, rosemary, and thyme, as well as many others, in the nests to smell good and be relaxing. I do not think that chickens can smell very well if at all, so I am not sure as to how it is supposed to relax them. Just do not use Pennyroyal - it is very toxic to chickens.

Free Feather - I am new to chicks but I think the main purpose for the herbs in the boxes is for natural pest deterant more than anything
1f414.png

Ive heard of mint especially as a pest deterrent too. Don't think herbs would last too long around my girls they love eating them too much!
In one of my chicken books they dry out lavender and hang it in bags around the coop to help relax the chickens and keep it smelling nice. How well this works I don't know. But can't Hurt to try.
Also straw is said to be great to insulate the coop but is also great for mites!
I'm using dummy eggs at the minute waiting anxiously (but silently) for our first eggs!
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

I am making a little herb wreath for inside coop - chicks can eat it. Mint is great anywhere as a pest deterant. Put mint oil and water in spray bottle and spray window and door jams to keep spiders out. Excited for you waiting on your eggs:) mine won't start laying until October.

Thank you all so much! I have mint (spearmint & peppermint) Lavender, & rosemary in pots on out deck so that's what I'll use, along with straw & a rubber mat under the straw for easy clean-up :)

I wouldn't put a bunch of aromatics in a closed area like a nest....could irritate the chickens delicate respiratory system.
Nests shouldn't be stinky anyway...if they are pooping in nests you have another problem.

For a pest deterrent, this is about the best place to use DE...I like straw flakes because they hold together well.
I put a flake of straw in the nest, sprinkle some DE over the top then wiggle/arrange the flake around to make a 'bowl' shape,
the DE will settle down into the bottom of the nest where it can't get airborn to be breathed.

Add a couple fake eggs and/or golf balls to a few of the nests......and start waaaiiiiting for that first egg!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put a bunch of aromatics in a closed area like a nest....could irritate the chickens delicate respiratory system.
Nests should'nt be stinky anyway...if they are pooping in nests you have another problem.

For a pest deterrent, this is about the best place to use DE...I like straw flakes because they hold together well.
I put a flake of straw in the nest, sprinkle some DE over the top then wiggle/arrange the flake around to make a 'bowl' shape,
the DE will settle down into the bottom of the nest where it can't get airborn to be breathed.

Add a couple fake eggs and/or golf balls to a few of the nests......and start waaaiiiiting for that first egg!

X 2 - (took the liberty of fix.ing the "should be stinky" - I know what you meant) - though I do use hay rather than straw, mostly as this is what is readily available to me due to already having it on hand for feeding the horses.

I wouldn't put a bunch of aromatics in a closed area like a nest....could irritate the chickens delicate respiratory system. QUESTION: I am new to the chick world...why would you want the nests to be stinky?
Nests should be stinky anyway...if they are pooping in nests you have another problem.

Back
Top Bottom