Toxic Plants - North and South

digitS'

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 12, 2007
ID/WA border
Let's start with the South:

Auburn University professors (of Agronomy, Veterinary Science, & Botany) provide a nice booklet with color photographs of various (mostly wild) plants that cause problems for livestock. It is a 56 page pdf and I've simply saved it to my hard drive. However, it would be easy to print. Searching it as a pdf file for species that have been trouble for "poultry" and "chickens" just requires the use of those 2 search terms. Poisonous Plants of Southeastern United States

I don't live in the South but here are a few of the plants that have poisoned chickens from the list that are around in my part of the world:

Common cocklebur (Xanthium strumarium)
Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)
Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum)
Milkweed (Asclepias species)

North: An easily searchable website is provided by the Canadian federal government's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada . They have put some real effort in providing information on livestock safety. What I especially like about the information provided on the toxic plants is that they have cited the reports on poisonings, including the poisoning of poultry.

Most Everywhere in our Backyards:
The emphasis on the 2 sources mentioned above is somewhat focused on forage whereas, much of what our backyard flocks are exposed to are landscape plants. Here is a helpful list of toxic plants more likely to be found in a backyard from the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of California at Davis. And, here's what I particularly appreciate about this website, they tell us about Safe Plants on another page.

The booklet from Alabama has helpful photo's but if you need to check out some pictures of these "critters" and see if you've got them in your part of the world - - The USDA will show and tell you.
smile.png

Steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom