Where to buy large Dog Kennels?

Fawkes

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2011
Where do you guys buy your large chainlink dog kennels? Its difficult to find any sites that sell large ones.
hmm.png

What sizes do they sell? I'm looking for as big as possible. Right now 10x10 or 10x12 is fine but I'd love a bigger size later on. like a 12x18 for chickens. I wonder how you'd connect a coop to that though, considering theres only one door, and you need that to go inside...I suppose I could put the coop inside. just a shame that it would take up space.

I've tried craigslist but no luck so far. Still looking though.

Quote:
They only make the panels so big so you will prob have to buy xtra panels or two cages......and I would say keep trying craigslist cause there are usually quite a few, or run an add looking for one and you will get responds, that is all I use are chainlink runs, it just seems to be the strongest and I feel safer that way. My sister offered me her chainlink pen and I jumped on it BUT when they dropped it off it is one of those that has to be all put together, Ugh, what a job it looks to be, I say always buy the panels it is So much easier and you can add to them, but Im not looking a gifthorse in the mouth, i still took it
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Oooh so you can add on by adding new panels? So I could turn, say, a small chainlink kennel into a large one? If so, thats great, I wont have to worry about getting a small one, because I can eventually make it bigger.

Yeah, my dad will be putting it together, it can be a bit difficult. Only need a couple of tools though.

If you can find a used one online in classifieds, that's the best route. You could score a 10x10x6 for less than $200 in most cases. Then go to Lowes or something, and get additional 10x6 panels to make it larger.

Or, make your own panels by buying the chainlink and affixing it to the aluminum piping.

You don't want the kind that is a pipe frame with a roll of wire that wraps around it. You want the kind that is individual panels secured together, so that you can make it whatever size you want. Also a neat idea because you can buy another panel as you can afford to if you can't swing the full amount to expand it right away. Like if you have chicks growing, just buy the 4 panels to make the first run. Each month, add another panel. Spreads the cost around.

Our first run was a kennel with a pipe frame (purchased through www.yourfencestore.com because they had free shipping). We extended it by adding additional top and bottom rails. We didn't need to purchase additional chain link fencing because the run was going to be directly attached to the coop and there was no need to run the fencing along that side.

Such rails can be fairly easily cut to size (if needed) with a reciprocating saw. They were under $10 for a 10 foot section.

Places that sell these rails (we use Lowes) also sell 6 inch sleeves for a bit over $2 to hold the additional pipes together (if needed).

We started out with a kennel that was 12 feet long and ended up with one almost 16 feet long. We could have gone longer if we wished using this system of adding additional top and bottom rails with these sleeves (although we would have then had to purchase more actual chain link fencing).

The end product looked like this:

84140_img_0847.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is panels and I love it. I've had it for 25 years and I bought it used, from a guy that was shutting down his kennels. He had it configured as individual kennels and I bought 10 10' panels and 6 3' gate sections. I loaded them on a flat bed trailer and tied them down. I've had them at 3 different properties, in all kinds of configurations, for all kinds of different birds and animals, for a bunch of different purposes. They can be any size and shape I want. They're easy to move, if you ever move. They're also fairly easy to store, once you take the panels apart. We've even used the extra gates in our field fencing, attached to a couple of steel posts.
big_smile.png

I'm lucky that I have older ones, because they're a really heavy gauge wire. I noticed that a lot of the newer ones are really light weight wire. When comparing kennels, make sure you compare the wire gauge, as well as the price.

Back
Top Bottom