anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Quote:
I have always heard that uncooked beans were not safe for chicken or man, even sprouted beans.

Lentils should be OK, but not pinto or other uncooked beans. I believe that I'm right on this.

Quote:
I have always heard that uncooked beans were not safe for chicken or man, even sprouted beans.

Lentils should be OK, but not pinto or other uncooked beans. I believe that I'm right on this.

See post #179 on the reduction of anti nutrients and sprouting beans.

Quote:
I am on day five with my first batch and the only oats that have sprouted are the ones that had cracked or no hulls. It could be I didn't soak them long enough. The directions I read said to soak them for 4-6 hours. I'm thinking those directions were for oats with no hulls. I'm going to start another batch this morning and soak for 24 hours.
The good news is that oats are very nutritious even if they never sprout, so even if it never happens, I haven't wasted any money. My chickens do love oatmeal!

I have tried soaking for 12 hours and I have tried soaking for 24 hours and the results have not improved a lot for me. Seems like I am getting an average of about 20% of the seeds to sprout. I went to the local health food store to check out getting "hulled oats" but they were selling for $1.29 per lb. When I compare that to buying a 50 lb bag of oats for $7.50 (15 cents/ lb) my %20 yield looks pretty good! Plus its not like my chickens don't eat the oats that don't sprout.

I haven't tried soaking in warm water yet, but I guess at this point it couldn't hurt!

Anne just finished sprouting a large bowl full of mung bean. My chickens were not enthused about the sun with cold combination and were staying close to the run. I called them down to the wooded area, and they came flying (literally). I tossed them a handful of the sprouts. They looked at them; some took a peck or two. Then they all stood there staring at me as if to ask, "Is THAT what you called us for, you..." Then they walked away without eating them.

I don't blame them. Mung bean sprouts aren't my favorite, either.
lol.png

Thanks so much for this great post! Are you using warm or cold water?
Best Success,
Karen in western PA, USA.
=====================================

Quote:
WOW!
I don't want to do that, I want to keep slaving away with my heavy 5 gallon pails, wasting many gallons of water....
roll.png

Thanks
I must try this one..
big_smile.png

ON

Quote:
WOW!
I don't want to do that, I want to keep slaving away with my heavy 5 gallon pails, wasting many gallons of water....
roll.png

Thanks
I must try this one..
big_smile.png

ON

Lukewarm, but it quickly becomes room temp. b/c they soak for aroung 24hrs. I just added boss to the mix now I have oats, wheat and boss.

Back
Top Bottom