anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I buy my wheat at the local co-op, but they have it in bins at my local grocery store, too. Sprouting BOSS takes PATIENCE! It has to soak for 12 hour or so, then THINKS about sprouting for another 24 hours. (Lots of rinsing, in the meantime). Two days later you are good to go. I had one little seed stuck to the strainer than grew leaves! It was a week later, of course...

Last edited:
Please can you tell me just How To sprout the BOSS? How thick are the layers and how often with what temp water do you strain them?
Thanks!
Karen

I filled a mason jar halfway with BOSS, then filled the rest of the way with water in the evening. The next morning I dumped it into a colander then set it on my kitchen counter. For the next couple of days, when I thought of it, I would run some water over the colander and toss the seeds around. When the sprouts were the size of the seeds I fed them to the chickens. I had enough to satisfy my eighteen chickens.

Sorry it's not more scientific. I am not the most structured person. If I got them to sprout, anyone can. I noticed that the ones that lost their shells at some point sprouted before the one WITH shells.

Does that help?

Edited to add: I used whatever temperature the faucet was at the time. Sometimes it was warm, sometimes cold. It was never hot because my water heater is stingy.

Last edited:
Oh this is just perfect! I'm not a structured person either. Thank so much TN for the help! I am going to start tomorrow!
Happy New Year!
Karen

I gave our two the herb plant I had in outside boxes to chew on. They seem to like it. I plan on planting more herbs or kind of a chicken garden for them in the spring.

Some people also like to grow sunflowers until they have the first leaves open, then snip for salad greens. Don't forget to eat some of these delicious things that are good for you, too.
wink.png

Quote:
I have never done it but I think I have read it is safe..

(For those wondering....raw Beans have a anti-nutrient quality.) I am pretty sure that sprouting them removes the anti nutrient and makes them safe.)

This is a really useful post! I've done this with their scratch feed, but I didn't think of using oil sunflower. I give my flock the BOSS without shells.
If I sprout them, I think the shells need to be still on, or not true?
Can chickens eat the BOSS in the shell and break down the shell with grit?

Yes to sprout the shell needs to be on. Birds do fine with the shells.

Quote:
I have nice dry firm poo, not too smelly either... However I do limit the sprouts I feed about 1.5 cups per 6 birds morning and night. The sprouts are mixed with dry ingredients to make a just barely moist "mash".

ON

Do you only put food out in the morning and night or do they have access to feed all day? Just curious.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom