anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Quote:
I've been soaking the grains in warm water overnight and they sprout very well.

I hadn't heard of, or even thought of soaking them in warm water, but it does make sense to me. Thanks for the heads up. I am pretty certain I will get a system down that works for me and is not a lot of work.

Quote:
I've been soaking the grains in warm water overnight and they sprout very well.

I hadn't heard of, or even thought of soaking them in warm water, but it does make sense to me. Thanks for the heads up. I am pretty certain I will get a system down that works for me and is not a lot of work.

Careful with the warm water.... I let it get a little too warm once, and killed a 5 gallon pail full..
roll.png

Wow did that stink! I kept rinsing and rinsing and could not get them to come "clean"... Then it dawned on me that the "warm" water was too warm!..

SOOO
I use only cold water now..,
wink.png

ON

Well, I have gone overboard and went down to the local organic plant store and bought a "sprouter" for growing home sprouts for myself and the kids. The whole thing intrigues me so much and I just never thought about doing this at home. I will grow sunflower baby sprouts for eating and in my salad, along with alfalfa, lentil and Broccoli sprouts. BOSS, oat and lentil sprouts for the hens.

Thanks everyone for once again opening my world up to new things! LOVE it. Love the way that I learn so much from you and help make our world healthier and happier!!! Happy Holidays!
frow.gif

I think I killed my sprouts.
I didnt understand on here that after the first soak, you rinse and DRAIN. So mine soaked for a couple of days. Now that I have been draining, nothing. It has been a week.
Should I start over?

Quote:
Start over. Mine soak either overnight or from morning to night - 8 to 12 hours max.

My garbanzo beans are proving to be rather resistant to sprouting, probably due to old age. Out of the entire jar, I only see one sprout. I will probably end up giving these to the girls as is and starting another batch of wheat, rye or oats (their favorite!).

So just when I was ready to give up on my first batch, my sprouts are sprouting!!!
I also gave them some of the "soaked" wheat seeds and my girls loved it.

Wait till they get those sprouts, yum yum.

My guys are loving the sprouts! They are wolfing down the sprouted red and white wheat, sunflower seeds, and lentils. AND it has the added benefit of a little extra protein, which shouldn't hurt, since the bird-brains decided to molt in 20 degree weather...

Back
Top Bottom