Sprouting Lentils

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
On my first try with sprouting lentils for my chickens. What do you all think? Are they ready? Who else does this and how much do you feed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 451
I think you could feed some right now. Since this is a new treat, give them about 1 tablespoon per bird. Maybe mix them in with some mash made from their regular feed?

See how the chickens do with what you give them today -- their poop will tell you something, as well as how they act. I'd let the rest grow a little longer; give them some more in a day or so.

I think you could feed some right now. Since this is a new treat, give them about 1 tablespoon per bird. Maybe mix them in with some mash made from their regular feed?

See how the chickens do with what you give them today -- their poop will tell you something, as well as how they act. I'd let the rest grow a little longer; give them some more in a day or so.
Have you given this before? And if so, did your birds have digestive issues?

Have you given this before? And if so, did your birds have digestive issues?
No, I haven't. I just err on the side of caution when I give my chickens anything they haven't had before.

Here's some info from a quick Google search.

"You can sprout many different types of grain, beans or lentils. Please remember to never feed your flock dried, uncooked beans. They contain a toxin, hemagglutinin, which can be deadly for your chickens. However, when you cook or sprout beans, the toxins are destroyed and are safe to feed your flock"

"Lentil sprouts will grow within three to four days. They are packed with protein at this stage and can be fed to chickens as a good source of healthy greens in the winter months."

I decided to try this as well. I'm using little trays and have a rhythm going now - I have the tender leafy sprouts for feeding the girls in the afternoon, and trays that were started on subsequent days. When the most mature batch gets fed, I start a new batch in that tray. It's working great! They enjoy it, it's good for them, and the big win is they are still devouring their regular feed like they should, so all the nutrients are getting consumed. <3

No, I haven't. I just err on the side of caution when I give my chickens anything they haven't had before.

Here's some info from a quick Google search.

"You can sprout many different types of grain, beans or lentils. Please remember to never feed your flock dried, uncooked beans. They contain a toxin, hemagglutinin, which can be deadly for your chickens. However, when you cook or sprout beans, the toxins are destroyed and are safe to feed your flock"

"Lentil sprouts will grow within three to four days. They are packed with protein at this stage and can be fed to chickens as a good source of healthy greens in the winter months."
Thank you!!!

I sprout lentils for my chickens as well. I give them a couple handfuls every couple of days for 12-15 of them. The lentils in your picture are ready to feed. I personally like placing the jar in the sun for a couple days to let the sprouts get little green leaves, the chickens really seem to like that! I store them washed in a container with a paper towel in the fridge once they are ready and they’ll stay good for around 5-7 days!

Last edited:
On my first try with sprouting lentils for my chickens. What do you all think? Are they ready? Who else does this and how much do you feed?
Yes, you can feed them at that stage.
I usually like to let them sprout a little more and get green leaves on them, but what you have is ready.

I use about a scant 1/3 cup of lentils per jar because they will expand so much with the leaves and "roots" they get clumpy, so I dump them in a bowl and break them apart. I give out 1 jar for all 20 birds, so I'm probably a bit heavier handed with this "treat" but they don't get them every day.

Back
Top Bottom