anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Quote:
WOW!
I don't want to do that, I want to keep slaving away with my heavy 5 gallon pails, wasting many gallons of water....
roll.png

Thanks
I must try this one..
big_smile.png

ON

Quote:
From what I have been able to find chickpeas lentils and mung beans are fine. Kidney beans are said to be toxic unless cooked, even when sprouted.

I just found a pretty good article that suggests that even kidney beans are not so bad, when sprouted. http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutmyths.html

To
me it is a non issue because I have found that so many grains are available at my local feed store that I can buy far cheaper than I can buy beans. Even corn, when spouted is pretty high in protein.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

Quote:
Kassaundra, thanks for those great photos and well-written directions. As soon as I get back from Florida around New Years, I'm going to have Anne make me some of those burlap sacks for sure.
That's the lazy man's way, and I'm the lazy man. Heck, I don't even have to build the racks now. THANKS MUCH AGAIN!

I started reading this post last week. I too am sprouting. I have wheat and rice going. I have them soaking too long, I need to go rinse. I also have soy beans and I am going to try that next.

Someone else posted that if they start raising mealy worms.... I agree I must be going crazy, because I actually entertained the thought for a minute.

Burlap, that looks like the way to go.

Ryan: And now I am reading joebryant's post and am considering making yogurt for the chickens! Although my kids would like the homemade yogurt too. We go through huge amounts of Greek Yogurt! My DH just said tonight, "I thought we were going to eat the chickens, not make them gourmet dinner!" In the meantime, I am mixing lentil sprouts, yogurt and warm oats........spoiled chickens!

Quote:
If you want to make Greek (strained) yogurt, pour your yogurt into a muslin cloth, and suspend it over a bowl for two hours, or put the cloth in a colander over a bowl.

After two hours the colorless liquid whey will have strained into the bowl, and the remaining yogurt will be thickened and creamier. You couldn't pour it now. You'll have to scrape it off the muslin cloth.

With that, you’ve made Greek yogurt. It's deliciously thick and creamy, even when made with skimmed milk. It's more stable in cooking than normal yogurt. If your yogurt separates when cooking, you can stir in a spoonful of cornflour and stabilize it. If you leave it straining for longer than 2 hours, it becomes thicker and thicker and eventually will have a consistency like cream cheese. Stir in garlic and herbs if you like, and use it like Philadelphia cream cheese.

Last edited:
Mmm... That sounds delicious!

I've always made my yogurt in my slow cooker. I put a rack in the bottom, put the jars on it and fill it part way with water, as a water bath for the jars. On low, mine keeps it at the perfect temperature for culturing yogurt. I checked it with a thermometer before I did it the first time, to see what setting would be good.

Well, I just set my first batch of seeds to soaking. I started with BOSS since I had that available. Tomorrow I am going to town so I will swing by the fabric store and get some burlap to make some sprouting bags. Thanks Kassaundra for the directions for not having to rinse 2x a day...that was going to be a major hurdle for me since I work 12 hours. This method is definitely doable, even with my crazy schedule.

Back
Top Bottom