anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I thought that someone had mentioned sprouting seeds earlier in this thread in which had sounded as if it were seeds for a vegetable garden! If this is true by all means let me know, I have plenty to sprout.

Thanks

I am sprouting cheap grocery store beans. I should start some more
big_smile.png

Have we had a definitive answer on whether or not its ok to feed raw beans when sprouted? I got bogged down on 18 pages of posts and the ADHD kicked in. I remember some do and some are concerned about doing so.. whats up with raw sprouted beans from someone who has been feeding them for a while? I don't want to poision my girls with good intentions

Now I have a sprouting addiction thanks to you folks!
idunno.gif
I guess it wasn't enough that you got me hooked on chickens, now this....

So I bought some alfalfa and some mung beans and will try those too. Since my sweet picky hens are not particularly interested in the lentils, I am now ordering different things to try. I feel a bit ridiculous that I am now growing stuff especially for them since I got them so that they could eat the stuff that could be "recycled" instead of put in garbage/compost. They were supposed to be reducing the waste, now I am growing things especially for them LOL!
D.gif
If you BYCers convince me to raise mealworms, my DH may seriously put me in the loony bin.
wee.gif

Quote:
From what I have been able to find chickpeas lentils and mung beans are fine. Kidney beans are said to be toxic unless cooked, even when sprouted.

I just found a pretty good article that suggests that even kidney beans are not so bad, when sprouted. http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutmyths.html

To
me it is a non issue because I have found that so many grains are available at my local feed store that I can buy far cheaper than I can buy beans. Even corn, when spouted is pretty high in protein.

Quote:
No not really.. It is hard to define "sprouted". How sprouted does the bean need to be for the anti nutrient to be gone?

http://www.idosi.org/wjdfs/wjdfs1(1)/2.pdf
Here is the abstract:
The raw dry Indian bean having a very high trypsin inhibitory activity which progressively decrease
by 51% during the 12 h soaking period and further reached to 17% at 32 h germination period. However, the
overall fall in polyphenols was 70%, tannins 46%, phytic acids 36%, phytate phosphorus 30 and 40-50%
stachyose and raffinose were noticed. The present study also evaluated the changes of anti-nutritional factors
of germinating Indian bean by subjecting to boiling, roasting and pressure cooking. Maximum reduction was
observed in TIA and phytic acids with roasting, while the boiling and pressure cooking decreases the levels
of polyphenols and tannins. Germination was more effective method in reducing trypsin inhibitor activity,
tannins, polyphenols and phytic acid than the various cooking treatments.

Interesting! According to the paper anti nutrients are best reduced by sprouting, second roasting and lastly cooking..

Any one ever make sprouted bean chili????

ON

The oats that I got for $7.50 do have the hulls on them. I noticed yesterday that some of them were starting to sprout. Upon close examination I can see that all of the oats that have no hull have sprouted, but very few of the oats that are still in the hull are sprouting. I am going to continue the process for a few days to see if the hulled oats will sprout eventually or if it is a no go.

Back
Top Bottom