BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Peafowl › Black Shoulder Hen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Shoulder Hen?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hello Pea community!

Was hoping for some reassurance. I purchased what I was told is a black shoulder peahen, that is just shy of a year old. I'm not an expert and I just want to run it by you all here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She does appear to be healthy but if you all see something wrong/out of order, please don't hesitate to share. I thank you all in advance.


post #2 of 9

Yes, she is india blue black shoulder peahen, and she looks good, if you have a white male for her they could produce white chicks because it could be split white.

india blue w/e, purple, splading bronze, pied, silver pied and bronze black shoulder, opal w/e, opal BS silver pied,opal silver pied cameo w/e, cameo BS pied w/e, cameo BS silver pied, spaldings and muticus green

 

 

 

((Excuse my English))

Reply

india blue w/e, purple, splading bronze, pied, silver pied and bronze black shoulder, opal w/e, opal BS silver pied,opal silver pied cameo w/e, cameo BS pied w/e, cameo BS silver pied, spaldings and muticus green

 

 

 

((Excuse my English))

Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
That's great news to me! Thank you very much.

As a matter of fact I do have a white peacock.

How old does she appear to be? Or do the pictures I uploaded not show her age
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

That's great news to me! Thank you very much.

As a matter of fact I do have a white peacock.

How old does she appear to be? Or do the pictures I uploaded not show her age

Indeed a bs hen and I agree that she might have some white in her. As for age, its hard to tell from pics and sometimes in person but, I'll give it my opinion, judging from the pics, I see no spurs and some hens dont get them until later in life but, I'll put her at 2-3 years maybe more but not much more. She does look to be of breeding age. Very healthy and happy looking hen, enjoy and keep us posted on her progress.

Gerald Barker
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you so very much!

I indeed will.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Sorry one more question,
What leads you to believe that she has/may have white in her? Not that I don't believe you, but just for my personal knowledge bank. The more you learn, the more you know.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

Sorry one more question,
What leads you to believe that she has/may have white in her? Not that I don't believe you, but just for my personal knowledge bank. The more you learn, the more you know.
That white feather on her right wing is usually consistent with a bird that is split to white or carries the gene. Your bird could be a gold mine of genes and the only way to find out is to match her with different colors of roosters if your that serious about it. Hope this helps.

Gerald Barker
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ah! I see. No I am not a breeder and am not interested in breeding for a specific color. I do however, like to know and learn, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I've done some reading and have learned that most peafowl may carry different color possibilities. I guess I find it remotely interesting because I did want to learn about it. Thanks again! You guys rock!!
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

Ah! I see. No I am not a breeder and am not interested in breeding for a specific color. I do however, like to know and learn, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I've done some reading and have learned that most peafowl may carry different color possibilities. I guess I find it remotely interesting because I did want to learn about it. Thanks again! You guys rock!!
When it comes to colors, wow can it get messy when trying to learn. There are several colors that have been created from color mutations a lot just by chance and many more being produced as we speak.

Gerald Barker
Edited by barkerg - 2/14/16 at 3:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Peafowl
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Peafowl › Black Shoulder Hen?